Love pizza? Then this pizza burger is for you!
Thick, juicy all-beef patties are piled high with pepperoni slices, cheese, and pizza sauce!
These pizza burgers are cheeseburgers with a big personality!
This homemade pizza burger combines made from scratch cheeseburgers with the wonderful tastes of a pepperoni pizza in every bite.
Packed with so much flavor these burgers are no doubt comforting and simple in tastes, but that’s part of what makes these burgers so irresistibly good. You’re going to love this original pizza burger recipe because it’s such a unique twist that’s always unexpected but always well received and tasty!
What is a Pizza Burger?
Pizza burgers are a simple burger recipe made to blend together two incredible foods into every bite. Using your favorite pizza sauce, burger patties, pepperoni, cheeses, and bread, every bite is a harmonious blend of seasonings and ingredients working well to satisfy.
I love making this pizza burger recipe every time that I get the chance because they’re so simple and easy, but also so wonderfully comforting.
- Ground beef – I like to use 80/20 beef. This means that the ground beef I am using is 80% lean beef and 20% fat. For burgers, you really want a little fat to lend flavor and to keep them extra juicy.
- Chopped pepperoni
- Dried oregano
- Dried basil
- Provolone – I used deli slices
- Pepperoni slices
- Pizza sauce -Jarred or homemade is fine. In a pinch, you could use marinara.
- Hamburger buns
For the exact amounts needed, please refer to the recipe card below.
How To Make A Pizza Burger
On the Grill
- Preheat an outdoor grill to medium heat.
- Combine the meat mixture. In a large bowl, combine ground beef chopped pepperoni, garlic, salt, oregano, and basil. Mix by hand just until combined. Form the beef into 6 patties.
- Place the patties on the grill and then cook for 4 minutes. Flip and cook for an additional 4 minutes (cook 5 minutes per side for more well-done burgers). Place the provolone cheese slices on the burgers 2 minutes before the burgers are finished cooking and cook until patties have melted cheese.
- Place the burgers on a bun, and top with extra pepperoni and marinara sauce. Serve as open faced pizza burgers or add top bun.
On The Stove
If grilling is not an option, then you can prepare your burgers on the stove.
Place a grill pan or a skillet over medium-high heat. Place the patty on the skillet and cook them for about 3 to 5 minutes per side. Just like on the grill, do not disturb the burgers as they cook, and don’t press the burgers! You want to keep them nice and juicy!
To top the burger with cheese, place your cheese slices on the burger and tent the skillet with foil. The steam will help melt cheese.
Then assemble your pizza burgers and serve immediately!
- Patty forming. After I form my patty, I like to make an indentation with my thumb into the center of the burger (you can see how I do this in my Basil Peach Pork Burger Recipe). Doing this keeps the shape of the burger and the indentation doesn’t let the burgers swell and puff up.
- Topping Ideas. I used my favorite jarred pizza sauce, provolone slices, greens, and more pepperoni as my toppings. Bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes, pepper rings, or olives would be wonderful additions!
- Spices. If you do not want to use individual spices, and Italian Seasoning blend is fine. You can use 1-2 teaspoons of it depending on how much flavor you want in the mix.
- Cheeses. Sliced, shredded, or fresh mozzarella cheese would be great in place of the provolone if you don’t want to use provolone or can’t find it in stock. We’re basically looking for a cheese that is super melty like on a real pizza but that can hold up to burger flavors too.
Can You Make Pizza Burgers Ahead of Time?
Yes! I often prepare my burgers in advance and place them on a plate. I cover them in plastic wrap and keep them refrigerated until needed.
While the grill preheats, remove the burgers from the fridge to come to room temperature before grilling.
How To Make Pizza Burgers In The Oven
To bake the burgers in the oven, mix the ground beef mixture and place the burgers on a sprayed broiler pan. Bake the burgers in a 350-degree oven for 20 minutes, turning once. Place the cheese on the burger during the last minute of baking.
What Sides Go With This Burger Recipe?
Keep it simple! These burgers have a lot of flavor! Try serving refrigerator pickles, cucumber salad, kale salad, or a loaded vegetable pasta salad with these burgers and they’re sure to be a huge hit!
More Burger Recipes to Try Soon
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Burger
- Rock and Roll Burger
- Horseradish and Cheddar Burger
- Chile Verde Pork Burger
- 10 Most Expensive Steak Cuts You Can Order
Thick, juicy all-beef patties with pepperoni, cheese. and pizza sauce! These pizza burgers are cheeseburgers with a big personality!
- 2 lb ground beef
- 2 oz finely chopped pepperoni
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 6 slices mozzarella
- Pepperoni slices
- 6 tablespoons pizza sauce
- Hamburger buns
- Preheat an outdoor grill to medium heat.
- In a bowl, combine the ground beef chopped pepperoni, garlic, salt, oregano, and basil. Mix by hand just until combined. Form beef into 6 patties.
- Place the patties on the grill and cook for 4 minutes, flip and cook an additional 4 minutes (cook 5 minutes per side for more well-done burgers). Place provolone slices on the burgers 2 minutes before the burgers are finished cooking.
- Place the burgers on a bun, and top with extra pepperoni and pizza sauce.
Amount Per Serving Calories 578Total Fat 38gSaturated Fat 15gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 17gCholesterol 166mgSodium 915mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 50g
Fun Takes On Pizza
Everyone's favorite food served up in so many ways!
A fun inside out pizza soup that everyone will love!
This pizza pasta is saucy and filled with all the pizza toppings you and your family love!
This easy skillet meal will please everyone who comes to the table!
Pizza Stuffed Mushrooms (Whole 30 Compliant)
Meaty portobello mushrooms are stuffed with pepperoni, sausage and tomato sauce for a filling
pizza stuffed mushroom recipe that is filling and satisfying!
Easy Pizza Ring
Let's give pizza night a facelift with this easy pizza ring!
Biscuits and your favorite pizza toppings come together together to create a fun take on everyone's favorite food!
Jumbo Pizza Pigs in a Blanket
These king-size pigs in a blanket are more than a snack, they are a meal! Serve this with a salad for dinner or cut them into bite-sized pieces and share with friends!
Supreme Pizza Dip Recipe
This pizza dip recipe is a must when you are entertaining friends and family!
This easy appetizer has all the flavors of a supreme pizza with the crust or the delivery charge!
Crockpot Pizza Lasagna
Want an easy family meal that is sure to please? Try this simple crockpot pizza lasagna!
Pizza Sloppy Joe
Sloppy joes are meaty, saucy and fun!
This recipe has the flavor a pepperoni pizza which makes it fun and extra delicious!
Kimberly Baxter says
Turned out excellent!!! Thanks for recipe love all of your recipes I’ve tried.
Tanya Schroeder says
Oh, Kimberly, I’m so happy to hear this!! I was very pleased with these burgers, happy you enjoyed them too! And thank you for trying the recipes 🙂
Aimee Shugarman says
I’m loving all the flavors in this pizza burger!
These were so good! Thanks for the tip about the thumbprint indent. I never knew that and it worked like a charm.
Katerina @ diethood .com says
mmm..this looks like the perfect burger! I love the pizza flavor!! YUM!
This was really good! Perfect for my burger-loving family!
Rachael Yerkes says
My teenager was in heaven with these!
I really loved how easy this is to make! So tasty!
These burgers were loved by the whole family! Such a different way to eat a burger.
I served this a picnic gathering and it was a big hit.
This is a genius recipe! The whole family loved them.
Lindsay Cotter says
Such a fun twist on burger night! Everyone loved these pizza burgers!
Donde esta says
So happy to see a recipe . I have been using them for ages now.