A pizza burger cannot be beaten!
Thick, juicy all-beef patties are piled high with pepperoni slices, cheese, and pizza sauce!
These pizza burgers are cheeseburgers with a big personality!
Pizza Burger Are Just Fun
I cook every day except for Saturday. Saturday is the day I kick back and let someone else do the dishes. I love trying new restaurants and I tend to gravitate towards the trendy foodie spots. Often, these are the places that serve really delicious specialty cocktails, dishes with unusual flavor or foods I will never, ever prepare at home.
As much as I adore those trendy restaurants, the established, family restaurants often steal my heart. You know the ones, where the tables feel close together and at any time you can help yourself to bowls of popcorn and peanuts. You are there to be treated like family.
There are a few really good burger places in Cincinnati, and they aren’t necessarily the ones that serve “craft” burgers. They are the ones where you throw your peanut shells on the floor, the tables are so close together, the strangers seated with you feel like old friends.
The menu isn’t extensive, but everything on the menu is always good. That is the type of restaurant that inspired this pizza burger. There really is nothing fancy about this burger. The ingredients are ordinary, but together, they taste delicious!
What Do I need To Make a Pizza Burger?
Ground beef – I like to use 80/20 beef. This means that the ground beef I am using is 80% lean beef and 20% fat. For burgers, you really want a little fat to lend flavor and to keep them extra juicy.
Provolone – I used deli slices
Pizza sauce -Jarred or homemade is fine. In a pinch, you could use marinara.
How To Make A Pizza Burger
STEP ONE – Preheat an outdoor grill to medium heat.
STEP TWO – In a large bowl, combine the ground beef chopped pepperoni, garlic, salt, oregano, and basil. Mix by hand just until combined. Form beef into 6 patties.
STEP THREE – Place the patties on the grill and cook for 4 minutes, flip and cook an additional 4 minutes (cook 5 minutes per side for more well-done burgers). Place provolone slices on the burgers 2 minutes before the burgers are finished cooking and the cheese has melted.
STEP FOUR – Place the burgers on a bun, and top with extra pepperoni and pizza sauce
Can You Make Pizza Burgers Ahead of Time?
Yes! I often prepare my burgers in advance and place them on a plate. I cover them in plastic wrap and keep them refrigerated until needed.
While the grill preheats, remove the burgers from the oven to come to room temperature before grilling.
Can You Make Pizza Burgers On The Stove?
If grilling is not an option, then you can prepare your burgers on the stove.
Place a grill pan or a skillet over medium-high heat. Place the patty on the skillet and cook them for about 3 to 5 minutes per side. Just like on the grill, do not disturb the burgers as they cook, and don’t press the burgers! You want to keep them nice and juicy!
To top the burger with cheese, place your cheese slices on the burger and tent the skillet with foil. The steam will help melt the cheese.
How To Make Pizza Burgers In The Oven?
To bake the burgers in the oven, mix the ground beef mixture and place the burgers on a sprayed broiler pan. Bake the burgers in a 350-degree oven for 20 minutes, turning once. Place the cheese on the burger during the last minute of baking.
- If you do not want to use individual spices, an Italian Seasoning blend is fine.
- After I form my patty, I like to make an indentation with my thumb into the center of the burger (you can see how I do this in my Basil Peach Pork Burger Recipe). Doing this keeps the shape of the burger and the indentation doesn’t let the burgers swell and puff up.
- Sliced, shredded or fresh mozzarella would be great in place of the provolone.
- I used my favorite jarred pizza sauce, provolone slices, greens, and more pepperoni as my toppings. Bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes, pepper rings, or olives would be wonderful additions!
What Sides Go With This Burger Recipe?
- 2 lb ground beef
- 2 oz finely chopped pepperoni
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 6 slices mozzarella
- Pepperoni slices
- 6 tablespoons pizza sauce
- Hamburger buns
- Preheat an outdoor grill to medium heat.
- In a bowl, combine the ground beef chopped pepperoni, garlic, salt, oregano, and basil. Mix by hand just until combined. Form beef into 6 patties.
- Place the patties on the grill and cook for 4 minutes, flip and cook an additional 4 minutes (cook 5 minutes per side for more well-done burgers). Place provolone slices on the burgers 2 minutes before the burgers are finished cooking.
- Place the burgers on a bun, and top with extra pepperoni and pizza sauce.
Nutrition InformationYield 6
Amount Per Serving Calories 578Total Fat 38gSaturated Fat 15gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 17gCholesterol 166mgSodium 915mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 50g