This Pudding shots recipe takes a classic cocktail and turns them into individual boozy desserts!
These creamy little cups are perfect for parties and friendly gatherings. They taste so good, there is no doubt they will be the life of the party!
These mini, boozy sweets are easy to make and can be made in so many different ways and for any occasion!
I love Pina Coladas, but I only drink them when I am on vacation. Actually, to be a little more specific, I only drink them on a beach or tropical vacations. I mean, Pina Coladas just aren’t the same when your view is the city or the mountains.
There is no reason why I cannot enjoy my favorite cocktail all year long. Rum, pineapple juice, cream of coconut and coconut milk are available all year long, yet I reserve this fun, frozen beverage for those times when I want to throw caution to the wind (or the ocean breeze if you will).
While a frozen Pina Colada cocktail is reserved for warmer weather, other pina colada inspired recipes are enjoyed all the time! Some of my favorites are Pina Colada Ice Box Cake, Pina Colada Pineapple Upsidedown Cake, Pina Colada Energy Balls and Pina Colada Moscow Mule!
And now I can officially add these pudding shots to my favorites list!
What Are Pudding Shots?
Pudding shots are one of those things that both make and break a party. They make a party because they are fun to eat and are usually quite delicious.
They are small, but packed with booze and therein lies the problem. I can say from personal experience, that it is far too easy to have one too many!
Pudding shots are exactly what the name implies, pudding mixed with alcohol that is served in individual shot glasses. This recipe contains rum, just like a good old pina colada cocktail!
How To Make Pudding Shots With Rum
Pudding shots are so simple to make! For this recipe, you will need one box of vanilla pudding and one box of coconut pudding. The coconut pudding I used did have shredded coconut in the mix. You can always add more shredded coconut if you’d like.
Combine the vanilla pudding mix with a cup of milk, pina colada mix, and the rum; beat the pudding with a whisk until it begins to thicken. Fold in half a container of Cool Whip and set aside.
Repeat the process with the coconut pudding.
From here you can do one of two things, you can either layer the two separate pudding flavors or you can fold them together. I did not find a big color difference between the two, so I folded mine together.
I like to place the pudding in a large piping bag or a large ziptop bag with a corner snipped. Then pipe the pudding into your shot glasses.
I like to garnish my pudding shots with a maraschino cherry, but you could garnish with pineapple, shaved coconut, or whipped cream.
Why Didn’t My Pudding Shots Set?
One very important thing to mention about making pudding shots is your milk and you whipped topping MUST BE COLD! Otherwise you instant pudding will not set up to be thick enough.
You will have to beat your pudding and cold milk on high speed to get enough air into your pudding to have set properly.
Refrigerate your pudding shots until you are ready to serve them up!
I promise your party will be more memorable with these Pina Colada pudding shots! They are fun, festive and irresistible!
How Long Do Pudding Shots Last?
Pudding shots should keep in your refrigerate for 5-7 days and can be kept in the freezer for up to a month. Allow them to thaw in the fridge before serving.
Pudding Shots Tips:
- Instant Pudding is the best for pudding shots as it sets up quickly.
- Use very cold milk when making pudding shots and beat on high with a hand held mixer. The cold milk and all the air from whisking will work to set your pudding.
- Any type of alcohol will work in pudding shots, you can substitute brandy, vodka, rumchata or whiskeys, tequilas, and bourbons in your shots.
- Fold in the whipped cream, do not stir or else your pudding will deflate.
- To make different flavors, try these Tiramisu Pudding Shots, and these Eggnog Pudding Shots.
Can Pudding Shots Be Made With Almond Milk?
Almond milk does not have the fat that cow’s milk has, so your pudding will not set up properly. This will hold true for any milk alternative.
You can use a thickener with almond milk if you are working with old-fashioned pudding that needs to be cooked.
- White chocolate or cheesecake pudding can be used in place of the vanilla pudding
- Coconut extract could be added to the pudding for extra flavor
- White Rum, coconut rum, pineapple or coconut vodkas could be used in place of the dark rum
- Pineapple chunks can be used for garnish
Items Needed For This Recipe
Handheld mixer with a whisk attachment
Piping Bag or Ziptop Bag
The shot glasses I used were tall and slender ( 1.2 oz each), if you use smaller shot glasses you will get many more shots out of this recipe.
More Pina Colada Recipes:
Connect with Lemons for Lulu!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #lemonsforlulu! I would love to see your talents!
I have a group dedicated to food and you! Check out my group page on facebook and join in on the fun! This is where you can ask questions, share recipes, connect with others and see more of Lemons for Lulu. If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
- 1 3.5 oz box vanilla pudding
- 1 3.5 oz box coconut pudding
- 2 cups cold milk
- ¼ cup dark rum
- ½ cup pina colada mix
- 1 8 oz tub Cool Whip
- In a bowl, combine vanilla pudding mix, 1 cup of milk and prepare according to package directions.
- Whisk in the rum.
- Fold half of the whipped topping into the pudding.
- Repeat with the coconut pudding and remaining ingredients.
- Carefully stir the coconut pudding into the vanilla pudding.
- Spoon mixture unto shot glasses or into a ziptop bag and pipe into the glasses or containers.
- Refrigerate until set. Garnish with additional whipped topping, cherries, toasted coconut or fresh pineapple if desired, right before serving.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 182Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 3mgSodium 85mgCarbohydrates 19gFiber 1gSugar 14gProtein 2g