Sometimes you need a little nourishment that is fulfilling yet uncomplicated. That’s exactly how I would describe this easy chicken pho recipe! The broth is lightly flavored and the chicken is tender; this pho is undeniably delicious!
This chicken pho recipe is just as easy and definitely just as comforting. Where chicken soup can be heavy at times, chicken Pho feels light and clean. It is easy to make and made with basic pantry staple ingredients!
This recipe can be made in 20 minutes without compromising any flavor! And while I’m not an expert in this, I’m sure chicken pho has healing powers just like any other chicken noodle soup recipe!
What Is Chicken Pho?
Chicken Pho is a Vietnamese chicken noodle soup that is made with broth, noodles, herbs, and some sort of meat.
There are different types of pho with different meats and ingredients used with some variances to the recipe depending on the region from which it comes. It’s a fairly basic and straightforward recipe, however, I have a few tips on how to streamline this flavorful soup. I’ve included them in spots throughout this post.
- Chicken stock
- Jarred ginger
- Garlic minced
- Shredded rotisserie chicken
- Ramen noodles
- Fish sauce
- Chili sauce
For the specific amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
How To Make Chicken Pho
You are going to love how easy this recipe is! Now is it 100% old-country authentic? No, probably not. But it has the flavors I like and it hardly takes any time to prepare!
- Heat a stockpot over medium heat. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and whisk in the sugar, ginger, and garlic. Bring soup to a simmer. Stir in the cooked chicken.
- Add in the ramen noodles and then cook until the noodles are tender.
- Divide your pho between your serving bowls and add your toppings. I used fresh basil, cilantro, thinly sliced jalapenos, fish sauce, and chili sauce. You could add lime wedges and bean sprouts to your individual soup bowls as well.
Serve alongside this Spring Roll in a Bowl!
How To Make Chicken Pho In A Slow Cooker
What to slow cook your noodle soup? No problem! The longer the flavors have to mingle together the stronger they become making the broth so much richer and wonderful in taste!
To make your chicken pho soup in a slow cooker simply place the broth, seasonings, and chicken in a slow cooker on low for 1-2 hours.
When ready, serve the broth over rice noodles in a bowl. The hot broth will cook the noodles so there’s no need to do that beforehand.
Now add your favorite pho toppings over the top and serve. Enjoy!
Substitutions and Variations
- Meat. For this recipe, I like to use store-bought rotisserie shredded chicken, but if you have leftover cooked chicken breast, then that works well too! Cooked pork, beef or seafood would also be fitting for this recipe.
- Noodles. Traditional Pho recipes most often use rice noodles. You could easily use something like a vermicelli noodle which is thin and slender or, in a pinch, you could use angel hair pasta.
I used ramen noodles (doesn’t get any easier than that!). I used ramen noodles for two reasons. 1. Most people have a packet or two of ramen noodles in their pantry, which makes this recipe even more accessible. The 2nd reason is because of how quickly they cook.
Is Chicken Pho Healthy?
Yes, this soup can be considered pretty healthy because it combines several great-for-you ingredients like protein-packed chicken and nutrients that can help with your bones and joints! It’s a great soup for any day and o course feels that much more incredible when you’re feeling sick too.
What is Pho Broth Made Of?
Traditionally, the broth is made from a combination of beef bones, ginger, onions, and aromatic spices. In this recipe, we use some of these ingredients as well as a couple of our own ingredients to make the broth flavorful and delicious
Is Chicken Pho Whole30?
Looking for a way to sneak this tasty noodle soup into your diet, no problem! To make this soup whole30 compliant, simply omit the sugar and then swap out the noodles. In place of noodles, add zucchini noodles, squash noodles or extra veggies. You will also want to omit the fish sauce.
You can even try this delicious and easy vegetarian Pho recipe! if you’re looking to pack in a few more tasty veggies.
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon jarred ginger
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ½ cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 package ramen noodles
- Fish sauce
- Chili sauce
- Heat a stock pot over medium heat. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and whisk in the sugar, ginger and garlic. Bring soup to a simmer. Stir in chicken.
- Add ramen noodles and cook until noodles are tender.
- Divide soup between bowls and top with basil, cilantro, and jalapenos. Drizzle with fish sauce and chili sauce if desired.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 220Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 48mgSodium 882mgCarbohydrates 17gFiber 0gSugar 5gProtein 19g