A simple ramen broccoli salad with kale, dried cherries, almonds, and crumbled blue cheese! This light salad will become your most requested side dish!
I created this post as part of a sponsored series with Socialstars and SPLENDA® Brand; all opinions are my own. #SweetSwaps #SplendaSweeties
The first time I tried a version of this ramen broccoli salad was at a friends house years ago. It only took one bite for me to fall in love with this salad. The crunchy, buttery ramen noodles, the tender romaine lettuce, fresh broccoli and soy sauce dressing was so delicious to me; I immediately knew that I had to have the recipe.
I had to chuckle when I got the recipe from my friend. The ingredients and method are simple enough, the recipe calls for an entire stick of butter….for a salad. While I’ve made it that way several times, it always left me feeling guilty. Sure I can eat a huge piece of chocolate cake without feeling one bit of remorse, but a salad should be good for you, right? Some things had to change.
A Better Ramen Broccoli Salad
This ramen broccoli salad has significantly less butter; it just isn’t necessary. I replaced the sunflower seeds in the original recipe with heart healthy almonds and used curly leaf kale in place of the romaine. In the dressing, I replaced the 1/2 cup of sugar called for originally with three slim packets of granulated SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener. The dried cherries that are added to the salad contribute sweetness as well, so I didn’t feel the dressing needed the full amount of sugar. Tangy blue cheese rounds out the flavor profile to this ramen broccoli salad and adds a little creaminess to balance all the crunch.
The only thing that didn’t make me happy when it came to this salad, is that I hadn’t thought of making these changes sooner! I love the extra crunch from the almonds, the health benefits of the kale, the sweetness of the cherries that are very much complimented by the blue cheese. The reduced butter and sugar make this ramen broccoli salad stand out from all the rest. While calories might be reduced, the flavor is bigger and bolder than before!
Ramen Broccoli and Kale Salad
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 package of ramen noodles (seasoning packet discarded)
- 1 bunch of broccoli, chopped
- 1 head of curly leaf kale, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 3 oz dried cherries
- 2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- 3 packets of granulated SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add ramen noodles and almonds, break up the noodles as the heat up. Heat noodles and almonds until golden, be sure to watch them closely as they can burn quickly.
- Combine broccoli and kale in a bowl or on a serving platter. Top with cherries, noodle mixture and blue cheese.
- In a bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients and drizzle over salad; tossing to coat.
Visit Sweet Swaps for tips, tricks and recipes that swap out full sugar with SPLENDA® Sweeteners.