This broccoli cheese dip is a delicious appetizer or spread that will leave you speechless. Packed with delicious broccoli and cheese in every bite this dip is melty, gooey, and good.
Serve this hot broccoli dip recipe up with nice crackers or sliced bread and you really can’t go wrong. It’s super fast and easy to throw together and never lasts long once it’s made. Mostly because it’s too good to resist (not that you’d want to).
What Is Baked Broccoli Dip?
It’s a wonderful combination of flavors in a bowl. A hot broccoli dip with cream cheese, fresh broccoli, onion, garlic, and more cheese. Every bite is a rich and tangy mix of creamy comforting goodness that will have you wanting to lick the bowl clean. You are going to love this broccoli cheese dip!
- Olive oil
- Fresh broccoli heads
- Cream cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Red onion
- Garlic cloves
- Shredded mozzarella
- Black pepper
See the recipe card for the exact quantities needed.
How To Make Hot Broccoli Cheese Dip
Heat your olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
Add in your chopped onion and then sate them until the onion is translucent in color.
Add in the minced garlic and saute for about another 30 seconds or until fragrant.
Season with salt and pepper and then set aside.
Chope your broccoli heads into florets and bring them to a boil in a pot of water for 4-5 minutes until tender. You can also cook the broccoli in the microwave by placing them in a microwave-safe container with a lid and adding in ¼ cup of water. Then microwave for 6-8 minutes.
Once the broccoli is tender, roughly mince it into smaller pieces with a knife. You want all of the pieces to be roughly the same size so it’s easier to eat. You can use a food processor for this if preferred.
Add the cream cheese to the onions in the skillet and then stir to combine.
Add in the parmesan and mozzarella cheeses and mix. If the skillet has cooled you will need to place it over medium heat to warm the mix for blending together.
Finally, add in the chopped broccoli and combine.
Place the mixture into a baking tray and top with more mozzarella if desired.
Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the edges of the dip look golden in color and the cream cheese is starting to bubble.
Serve the dip warm with fresh bread, crackers, or veggie sticks.
Substitutions & Variations
- Broccoli. If you do not have fresh broccoli on hand you can use frozen broccoli. I like the steamer bags that you can simply pop into the microwave as that just makes the process run a little more efficiently. Just make sure not to include the liquid in the bag and to only get the cooked florets when chopping them up.
- Cheeses. If you want to add in a different type of cheese to give this dip more variety, then go for it! I bet it would taste great with some added cheddar or Monterey Jack.
- Thinner. Personally, we love it nice and thick but the dip can be made thinner by stirring in heavy cream or milk if desired.
- How to serve. This dip is better when warm as the cheese will be melted and smooth. In case of leftover, you can reheat in the oven or a microwave-safe dish.
- Leftovers. You can safely keep your leftover broccoli dip stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
What To Serve With Baked Broccoli Cheese Dip?
I recommend serving this dip with anything from tortilla chips to carrot sticks and celery. Toasted sliced french bread will also work great!
Can I Assemble This Dip The Night BEfore and Bake It The Next Day?
Absolutely! While the baking time might increase by an extra minute or two to go from chilled to bubbly hot, it will still turn out as amazingly as if you had made it from scratch right then and there.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 broccoli heads
- 16 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded parmesan
- 1 red onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
1. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add chopped onion and sauté until onion is translucent. Add minced garlic and sauté until fragrant. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
2. Chop broccoli into florets. Bring them to boiling water for 4-5 minutes to tender. You can also cook it in the microwave: place broccoli florets in a microwave-safe container with a lid and ¼ of water. Put it in the microwave for 6 to 8 minutes.
3. Once broccoli is tender, roughly mince it with a knife for making a more homogeneous dip. You can also use a food processor; the result will be more like a rice consistency.
4. Add cream cheese to the onion skillet and stir to combine. Then add parmesan and mozzarella cheese and mix. (If the skillet has got cold, it will be necessary to place it over medium heat for the cream cheese to softened).
5. Finally, add chopped broccoli and combine. Place the batter into a baking tray. Optional: add extra mozzarella cheese on top.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until edges are golden and cream cheese starts to bubble.
7. Serve warm with some fresh bread, crackers, or veggie sticks.