This vegetable beef soup is hearty, meaty, and full of heart-warming, healthy flavors! If you are feeling cold and need something to warm you up, then you need this vegetable soup simmering in your kitchen!
I know I have talked about the “unofficial beginning of fall” for months now. But it is actually here, so vegetable beef soup is very appropriate, right?
My neighbor and I have been walking every morning since March. It’s been wonderful walking at 6:30 am when the day is dawning and the weather is mild. But now that it’s 40 degrees that early in the morning, we are starting to reconsider.
I can’t do the cold. When it’s cold early in the morning all I want is a warm cup of coffee. When it’s cold in the evening then I want a big, steaming bowl of soup. Slow-cooker vegetable beef soup is really the best! This recipe is loaded with good ingredients too!
This soup recipe is super easy; it requires a little chopping and that is it. It is a little different than the beef soup you may be familiar with which use uses frozen veggies. This soup relies on fresh veggies instead.
Is Vegetable Beef Soup Healthy?
This vegetable beef soup is especially healthy! It is loaded with vitamins and nutrients! Protein-rich beef chuck is simmered low and slow along with sweet potatoes (high in vitamin B, C, D, calcium, potassium, and iron), baby portobello mushrooms (big on vitamin B6), and everyone’s favorite superfood; kale (full of vitamin A, K, B6 and calcium too)!
I would definitely consider this healthy food!
How Do I Make This Vegetable Beef Soup?
STEP ONE – Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add cubed chuck roast to the skillet season with salt and pepper and cook until browned on the outside. Place the browned beef into the bowl of your slow cooker.
STEP TWO – Add sliced mushroom, cubed sweet potatoes, fresh herbs, garlic, beef broth, water, and fire-roasted tomatoes to the slow-cooker. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours. Add kale during the last few minutes of cook time.
Vegetable Beef Recipe Tips
- Chuck roast lends itself well to slow cooking. Make sure you cut your roast into even, bite-sized pieces so that they cook evenly.
- Ground beef can be used for this soup to keep it simple.
- Swap out white potatoes for sweet potatoes
- I love the flavor that fire-roasted tomatoes lend this soup, it gives it a little spice. You can use any canned tomato in this recipe, even tomato sauce.
- Try to use low-sodium beef broth if possible.
- I know not everyone likes kale, feel free to swap out the kale, and use spinach instead. Be sure to add your greens at the end of your cook time to keep it vibrant and to keep it from getting too soft.
Can You Freeze This Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef Soup?
If you are hoping to store leftovers for later, then you are in luck! This soup freezes really well.
Allow the soup to cool completely, then place the soup it ziptop or air-tight container. This soup can be frozen for up to 3 months. Just a reminder that the kale will be soft.
Reheat the soup on the stovetop adding more liquid if necessary.
What To Serve With Vegetable Soup
- 2 ½ lbs chuck roast, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cup chopped peeled sweet potato, cubed
- 1 8 oz package baby bell mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 32 oz beef broth
- 1 cup of water
- 1 14 oz fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1 bunch kale
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add cubed chuck roast to the skillet season with salt and pepper and cook until browned on the outside. Place the browned beef into the bowl of your slow cooker.
- To the slow cooker, add sliced mushroom, cubed sweet potatoes, fresh herbs, garlic, beef broth, water, and fire-roasted tomatoes.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours. Add kale during the last few minutes of cook time.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 507Total Fat 30gSaturated Fat 14gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 143mgSodium 1107mgCarbohydrates 15gFiber 3gSugar 5gProtein 45g