Red beans and rice is such a humble meal, but it’s always so filling and delicious. This soup is substantial with the fibrous beans and it’s sturdy rice. But throw in the added flavor of salty bacon (win) and seasoned smoked sausage (double win), and then you have yourself a gratifying meal that is so deeply rich in flavor!
I reached out to you, my friendly readers to ask what you might be in need of during this time. I think most people want quick and easy recipes, especially recipes that use up pantry staples. There some other great recipe suggestions that I hope to share with you soon!
Please note that the ingredients I have listed in the upcoming recipes are subjective. Your store may carry different items at the time you are shopping. I will try to give substitutions and suggestions.
What Is In This Red Beans and Rice Soup?
- Smoked sausage
- Green pepper
- Chopped celery
- Kidney beans
- Cajun Spice
- Chicken broth
- Bay leaves
- White Rice
How To Make Red Beans and Rice Soup?
- Heat a large stockpot over medium heat. Add chopped bacon and cook until it just begins to brown. Add in diced sausage and continue to cook another 5-6 minutes or until browned. Remove meat from pan and set aside.
- Add onion, pepper, and celery to the pan. Cook until vegetables have begun to soften and onions are translucent. Add drained beans, sprinkle with Cajun seasoning; stir.
- Stir in chicken broth, water, bay leaves, and rice. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer the soup for 15-20 minutes. Remove bay leaf before serving.
Can I Freeze Red Beans and Rice Soup?
Yes! This soup freezes quite well.
Allow the soup to cool completely. Place the soup in a freezer-safe zip-top bag, remove the air from the bag and store the bag in the freezer, laying on its side.
Allow the bag to thaw in the fridge. When needed, heat the soup in a large stockpot until heated through.
Can Red Beans and Rice Be Vegetarian?
One of the best things about this soup, aside from the flavor and its simplicity, is that beans and rice together make up a complete protein.
You can easily omit the bacon and the sausage from this soup and use veggie broth instead of the chicken broth called for in this recipe.
Is Red Beans and Rice Gluten-Free?
Red beans are naturally gluten–free. However, make sure to check for additives in canned beans purchasing canned beans to make sure no added wheat starch or wheat flour or other gluten-containing ingredients are not included.
Bacon and sausage are generally gluten-free. As always read the labels to be certain.
Rice is often gluten-free as well.
Is Red Beans and Rice Healthy?
Yes! Rice and beans as a dish is rich in plant protein and provide a significant amount of fiber. Top among them is fiber. One cup of white rice and beans has 10 grams of fiber, mostly supplied by the beans.
A diet that’s high in fiber helps regulate blood sugar. Plus, the kind of fiber in beans also helps us develop good bacteria that contribute to gut health.
BUT this soup does have bacon and smoked sausage which can have extra fat and sodium. Again, these can be omitted or the amount listed here can be reduced.
Tips On Make Red Beans and Rice Soup
As mentioned above, this recipe can be altered based on what you can find in your grocery store.
Vegetable and Chicken stock can both be used for this recipe
Any type of bean will work for this recipe, the red beans just make it authentic. You can even use soaked beans instead of canned.
The bacon can be omitted as well as the sausage.
If you cannot find spoked sausage, andouille, kielbasa, ham, even brats or little red smokies can be used for this recipe! You can be very creative when it comes to adding protein. Ham hocks can be added for flavor.
This soup can easily be made in a slow cooker. All you have to do is cook the bacon before adding everything to the crockpot. Cook the soup on low for 4-6 hours, adding the rice during the last 15 or 20 minutes of the cooking time.
If you do not have Cajun seasoning, then combine dried oregano, salt, paprika, black pepper, garlic powder, thyme, and onion powder.
More Easy Soup Recipes:
- 3 strips of bacon, chopped
- 14 oz smoked sausage, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 14oz can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 32 oz container chicken broth
- 4 cups of water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- Heat a large stock pot over medium heat. Add chopped bacon and cook until it just begins to brown. Add in diced sausage and continue to cook another 5-6 minutes or until browned. Remove meat from pan and set aside.
- Add onion, pepper and celery to the pan. Cook until vegetables have begun to soften and onions are translucent. Add drained beans, sprinkle with Cajun seasoning; stir.
- Stir in chicken broth, water, bay leaves and rice. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer soup for 15-20 minutes. Remove bay leaf before serving.
Amount Per Serving Calories 366Total Fat 22gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 49mgSodium 1786mgCarbohydrates 25gFiber 4gSugar 5gProtein 17g