This sausage and rice skillet recipe is easy to make, hearty, and full of flavor. And it only takes one pot. This recipe features smoked sausage, rice, and lots of delicious veggies. It’s perfect for a busy family who wants a home-cooked meal without all the hassle.
All about this Sausage and Rice Skillet
This sausage and rice skillet recipe is a delicious one-pan meal that can be ready in about 40 minutes. It’s easy to customize with your favorite veggies or protein. Plus, it’s a one-pot dish so there’s minimal cleanup.
The combination of tasty sausage, fluffy rice, and vegetables creates a satisfying dish that the whole family will love. The smoked sausage gives this dish a delicious smoky flavor, while the rice and veggies add plenty of nutrients.
Red and green bell peppers contain vitamin C, vitamin A, potassium, and folate. Broccoli is a good source of vitamin C, vitamin K, potassium, and folate. Onions are high in vitamin C and contain the trace mineral chromium. All 4 vegetables also provide fiber and various antioxidants. Eating a diverse mix of colorful vegetables like these can help support a healthy immune system and overall well-being.
Give this tasty skillet a try the next time you’re looking for a quick and flavorful dinner option. Bonus: it also makes great leftovers for lunch the next day.
Ingredients You’ll Need for Sausage and Rice Skillet:
- White rice
- Smoked sausage
- Red pepper
- Green pepper
- Sweet onion
- Olive oil
- Garlic cloves
How to Make Sausage and Rice Skillet
- Dice the peppers and onion and press the garlic cloves; set aside.
- Slice the smoked sausage and set aside.
- Add the olive oil and crushed garlic to the hot pan and fry until golden and fragrant.
- Add the diced veggies to the pan, add a bit of salt, and saute on medium heat for 10 minutes until the veggies are soft and the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the sausage and herbs and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and mix well. Add the water and spread out all the ingredients in the skillet so the water covers everything.
- Cook for 15 minutes without stirring the rice; cover the mixture for the last 5 minutes.
Sausage and Rice Skillet Tips and Variations
The options are endless with this versatile skillet recipe. Try these tips and variations to make your perfect dish:
- If the rice is still a bit too al dente after the 15 minutes, let it sit covered for 10 more minutes. The remaining heat and humidity will soften it.
- Try using ground turkey or chicken instead of sausage or add in some shrimp for a seafood twist.
- Add extra protein like bacon or thin strips of pork.
- Use different types of sausage, such as chorizo or Italian sausage.
- Mix in beans, corn, or diced tomatoes for added texture and flavor.
- Replace the rice with quinoa or couscous for more gluten-free options.
- Serve the sausage and rice skillet with a side salad and crusty bread or serve it over a bed of greens.
- Top with shredded cheese, sliced avocado, or a dollop of sour cream for added richness.
- Serve the sausage and rice skillet as is for a complete meal or top with a fried egg for added protein and flavor.
- For extra heat, add in some red pepper flakes or diced jalapenos before cooking.
Sausage and Rice Skillet FAQs
How do I store leftovers?
You can store leftover sausage and rice skillet for up to a week in a sealed container in the fridge.
What if I don’t have a garlic press?
Chop or mince the garlic cloves with a knife. Or smash the cloves with the flat side of a chef’s knife and then remove the peel before cooking. You can also buy pre-minced garlic in a jar.
Can I add extra vegetables to this dish?
Yes. Feel free to throw in some sliced mushrooms, corn, or other veggies while cooking the sausage or mix in a handful of frozen peas at the end. Get creative and make it your own.
Other Skillet Meal Recipes
This sausage and rice skillet is a quick, tasty, and versatile dish that can be personalized to suit your preferences. It’s also a great way to incorporate healthy veggies into your meal. It is packed with flavor and nutrition. Give it a try for your next weeknight dinner or as an easy lunch option. And let me know in the comments what you think about it.
- 1 ½ cup white rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 pound smoked sausage
- ½ red pepper
- ½ green pepper
- 1 cup broccoli
- 1 sweet onion
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Rosemary
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 3 garlic cloves.
- Start by prepping dicing the peppers and the onion. Press the garlic cloves. Set aside.
- Cut the smoked sausage into wheels. Set aside.
- In the pan add the olive oil and the crushed garlic cloves and fry until golden and fragrant.
- Add the diced veggies to the pan, add a bit of salt, and sautee on medium heat for 10 minutes until soft and the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the sausage and the herbs and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and mix well. Add the water and set everything flat, so the water can cover all the skillet equally.
- Cook for 15 minutes without moving the rice and cover for the last 5 minutes.
If the rice is still a bit too al dente after the 15 minutes, you can let it sit covered for 10 more minutes or so, the remaining heat and humidity will soften it.
This skillet is easily customized with the veggies of your choice, other proteins can be added, like bacon or thin strips of pork.
It can be stored for up to a week in a sealed container in the fridge.