This easy Greek Gyro sandwich turns into a hearty meal that is both simple and delicious! This easy gyro skillet meal is all made in one pot, which keeps things nice and simple!
What Is A Greek Gyro?
A traditional Greek gyro sandwich features lamb, often roasted on a spit (rotisserie style) which is then shaved and placed on a piece of warm pita bread. The meat is then topped with cucumbers, tomatoes, onions and a creamy tzatziki sauce. The sandwich has a terrific blend of flavors, its filling and addicting!
WHERE IS THE GREEK GYRO SKILLET RECIPE?
If you’d rather skip cooking tips, suggestions, handy substitutions, related recipe ideas – and get straight to the Greek Gyro Skillet Recipe– simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
How To Make This Greek Gyro Skillet
This easy skillet meal is a blend of all the Greek flavors that make up a classic gyro sandwich. This recipe starts with ground lamb that is browned with onions and garlic. If the lamb is too strong for you, ground beef or even pork could easily be substituted. Where gyros have diced cucumbers, I chose to use diced zucchini instead (warm cucumbers are not the best). Rice is added to the beef along with vegetable broth. Fresh tomatoes, olives, and feta are stirred in just before serving. If you really wanted to get fancy, you could also stir in sun-dried tomatoes.
Skillet meals, like this Greek Gyro skillet are the best! They don’t take a lot of time, the process is simple and hurrah for fewer dishes to wash! If you like this skillet meal, then you should try this Tortellini Skillet Lasagna, Cheeseburger Skillet Dinner, Skillet Turkey Tetrazzini, One Pot Taco Pasta, Beef and Broccoli Rice Skillet, and this Chicken Enchilada Skillet!
- • 1 teaspoon Olive Oil
- • 1/4 cup Diced Onion
- • 2 cloves Garlic, Minced
- • 1 pound Ground Lamb
- • 1 cup Diced Zucchini
- • 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- • 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- • 2 teaspoons Dried Greek Seasoning Blend, Such as McCormick
- • 32 ounces Vegetable Broth
- • 2 cups Basmati Rice
- • 1/2 cup Roma Tomato, Diced
- • 1/3 cup Chopped Kalamata Olives
- • 1/4 cup Crumbled Feta Cheese
1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add oil and onions.
2. Cook onions until they are soft and translucent. Stir in garlic.
3. Add ground lamb. Cook and crumble until lamb is no longer pink.
4. Add zucchini and cook for just 3-4 minutes or until zucchini begins to soften.
5. Sprinkle in salt, pepper, and Greek seasoning; stir.
6. Add vegetable broth to vegetable mixture and bring to a low boil.
7. Stir in rice, cover and reduce heat. Cook rice for 10-15 minutes or until it is fluffy and liquid has been absorbed.
8. Remove from heat.
9. Stir in tomatoes and olives and feta cheese.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 346Total Fat 19gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 79mgSodium 1308mgCarbohydrates 20gFiber 1gSugar 3gProtein 22g