Do you love chicken burrito bowls from your favorite Mexican restaurant but don’t love the price? You can create an authentic chicken burrito bowl right at home for a fraction of the cost. This recipe is easy to follow and only takes about 30 minutes to make. The best part is that you can customize it however you want, so it’s perfect for any taste.
Why Are Chicken Burrito Bowls So Popular?
One reason chicken burrito bowls are popular is that they offer a healthy and balanced meal in one dish. The combination of protein from the chicken, carbohydrates from the rice or quinoa, and vegetables makes for a well-rounded option. And they are packed with protein and fiber to keep you satisfied.
Another reason for their popularity is how customizable they are. Each person can choose their own toppings and level of spice to make it their own unique meal. And chicken burrito bowls are easy to eat on the go and can be made in large batches for meal prep. This convenience and versatility make them a go-to choice for many individuals looking for a satisfying yet simple lunch or dinner option.
Ingredients You’ll Need for this Chicken Burrito Bowl
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Uncooked white jasmine rice
- Romaine lettuce
- Red onion
- Sweet corn (fresh or frozen)
- Cooked brown or black beans (homecooked or canned)
- Bunch of fresh cilantro
- Olive oil
- Mexican spice mix (garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, chili flakes, cumin, oregano, black pepper, and salt)
- Chili flakes
How to Make the Chicken Burrito Bowl Recipe
Prepare the rice
Add 1 cup of jasmine rice, 2 cups of water, salt, and a drizzle of olive oil to a pot. Boil on medium-high heat, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Do not stir.
Cook the chicken
- Place the chicken breasts in a bowl and season with olive oil, the Mexican spice mix, and a bit of salt and chili flakes.
- Cook the chicken in the air fryer for maximum convenience or in a pan. If you are using the air fryer, cook the chicken for 10 to 12 minutes at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), turning it at the 7-minute mark to ensure even cooking. If you are cooking the chicken in a pan on the stove, cook for 10 to 12 minutes on medium heat and turn it halfway through.
- After the chicken is cooked through, let it rest for 5 minutes to ensure the moisture gets locked inside. Then slice and set aside.
Prepare the salsa
- Wash and dice the tomatoes.
- Finely dice the red onion.
- Combine the tomatoes, red onion, juice of half of a lime, some olive oil, salt, and half of the chopped cilantro in a bowl.
Prep the other ingredients
- Thaw the corn if it is frozen.
- If your beans are from a can, drain and rinse with water.
- Chop the romaine lettuce and set it aside.
Prepare the avocado and cilantro dressing
- Add one avocado, the remaining cilantro, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt to taste, and a pinch of chili flakes (or to taste) to a small bowl.
- Blend the mixture with an immersion blender or food processor until it becomes a fine paste. Add more olive oil or fresh lime juice if you want the dressing to be thinner.
Assemble the bowls
- Add a base of cooked white rice.
- Add a couple of spoonfuls of each ingredient.
- Top up with some chicken and avocado slices.
- Drizzle with the avocado and cilantro dressing.
- Mix and enjoy.
Variations to this Recipe
The possible variations for this chicken burrito bowl are endless. Here are some options. Experiment and have fun creating your own unique twist on this classic dish.
- Swap out the chicken for steak, shrimp, or tofu.
- Use brown rice, quinoa, or cauliflower rice instead of white rice.
- Try different types of beans or use a combination.
- Add different kinds of vegetables, such as sauteed onions and bell peppers or mushrooms.
- Get creative with different toppings, such as spicy salsa, hot sauce, sour cream, shredded cheese, jalapenos, or guacamole
- Make this recipe into a salad by using lettuce as the base instead of rice.
- Use leftover rice or chicken for this recipe. Or save time by using a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.
- Serve with crispy tortilla chips on the side for added crunch.
Chicken Burrito Bowl FAQs
Can I shred the chicken instead of slicing it?
Yes, feel free to use whichever type of chicken you prefer in this dish.
Is this recipe good for meal prepping?
This chicken burrito bowl is the perfect dish for meal prepping. You can make it in advance without the dressing and add the dressing when you are ready to eat it.
How long will the chicken burrito bowl last in the fridge?
Without the dressing, you can store the bowl in the fridge for up to 7 days. But the dressing will only be good for 3 days.
Other One Pot Recipes
- One Pot Unstuffed Peppers
- One Pot Shrimp Diablo
- One Pot Alice Springs Chicken
- One Pot Pineapple Chicken (Grilled)
This healthy and refreshing chicken burrito bowl is made with lots of veggies, cooked chicken, and white rice with a delicious avocado and cilantro dressing. It is easy to make and assemble and perfect for meal prepping. And don’t be afraid to get creative with variations on your chicken burrito bowl creation.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup uncooked white jasmine rice
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 cups romaine lettuce
- 1 red onion
- 2 cups sweet corn (fresh or frozen)
- 2 cups cooked brown or black beans (homecooked or canned)
- 2 avocados
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro
- 1 lime
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Mexican spice mix (garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, chili flakes, cumin, oregano, black pepper, and salt)
- 2 tablespoon chili flakes
- 1 ½ tablespoons salt
Start by cooking the rice, for this, you want to add to a pot the cup of rice and 2 cups of water, salt, and a drizzle of olive oil. Let cook on medium-high heath uncovered for 15 minutes do not stir.
While the rice is cooking, let’s prep the chicken breast:
- In a bowl add the chicken breast and season it with olive oil, the Mexican spice mix, and a bit of salt and chili flakes.
- Cook it on the air fryer for maximum convenience or in a pan. If using the air fryer cook it for 10-12 minutes on 374 F/190C, turning it at the 7-minute mark to ensure an even cooking. If cooking in a pan, cook for 10-12 minutes on medium heat and turn it halfway through.
- Once it’s cooked let rest for 5 minutes, this will ensure the moisture gets locked inside. Once the time has passed, slice and set aside.
While the chicken breast is cooking let’s prepare the salsa:
- Wash and dice the tomatoes, set aside
- Peel and dice the red onion finely.
- Mix in a bowl with the juice of half a lime, some olive oil, salt, and some fresh cilantro chopped.
If your corn is frozen let thaw under running water for a minute and let strain all the water.
If your beans are from a can, rinse them underwater and let strain too.
Chop the romaine lettuce and set it aside.
Let’s prepare the avocado and cilantro dressing:
- In a small bowl add one avocado, the rest of the cilantro, two tablespoons olive oil, salt to taste, and a pinch of chili flakes (or to taste)
- With an immersion blender or a food processor, process it until a fine paste is achieved. If you want it runnier you can add more olive oil or fresh lime juice.
Assemble the bowl:
- Add a base of cooked white rice
- Add a couple of spoons of each ingredient.
- Top up with some chicken slices and half an avocado sliced.
- Drizzle the avocado and cilantro dressing.
Mix and enjoy!
This chicken burrito bowl is the perfect dish for meal prepping, it can be made in advance and be the perfect use for leftover rice or chicken. It can be made with leftover rotisserie chicken too!
You can also add some cheese or sour cream as a topping.
Without the dressing it can be stored in the fridge for up to 7 days, however, the dressing will only be good for 3 days, so consider doing a small batch of it and doing more down the week if needed.
This way of cooking rice will bring you perfect results everytime, however sometimes if doing brown rice or wild rice you might need to add more water.