Looking for a keto-friendly dinner option that will satisfy your craving for Italian food? This keto chicken Parm casserole will hit the spot. With cheesy goodness and a delicious marinara sauce, this dish is packed with flavor and is perfect for keto dieters. Plus, it’s easy to make and doesn’t require a lot of time in the kitchen.
All about the Keto Diet
The keto diet is a high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet that causes the body to burn fat rather than glucose for energy. The keto diet has become popular in recent years as a means of losing weight, and there is some scientific evidence that it may be effective for this purpose. But the keto diet can also have some negative side effects, and it is important to consult with a doctor before starting this or any other diet.
It can also be difficult to stick to a keto diet long-term, and it may not provide all the nutrients your body needs. The keto diet limits carbohydrates to about 20-50 grams per day with the focus being on eating healthy fats and proteins.
Foods allowed on the keto diet include meat, fish, eggs, non-starchy vegetables like leafy greens, nuts and seeds, avocados, and certain oils. Foods to avoid include grains, legumes, sugar, and most fruits.
Ingredients You’ll Need for Keto Chicken Parm Casserole
- Cooked chicken breasts
- Marinara sauce
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh mozzarella balls
- Fresh parsley for garnish
How to Make Keto Chicken Parm Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Chop the cooked chicken breasts.
- Add a thin layer of the marinara sauce in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Top with the chopped chicken.
- Cover with the remaining marinara sauce.
- Slice the mozzarella balls and lay the slices on top of the chicken.
- Cover with the grated Parmesan cheese.
- Cook in the oven at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 15 minutes until the cheese has browned and the sauce is bubbling and sizzling.
- Serve with fresh chopped parsley on top.
Tips for the Best Keto Chicken Parm Casserole
The following tips will help make your keto chicken Parm casserole the best it can be:
- Use quality ingredients, such as fresh grated Parmesan cheese.
- If you have fresh basil on hand, add it to the dish for the ultimate Italian touch.
- Use baked or grilled chicken instead of breaded and fried chicken to save on carbs.
- Add in some sautéed low-carb veggies for added nutrition and texture.
- If you are using store-bought marinara sauce, choose one that does not have added sugar to keep this dish keto. All of them will contain some sugar, but choose one with the lowest amount.
- If you are using homemade marinara sauce, use ripe tomatoes to avoid needing to add sugar. If you need to add some sweetness to balance the acidity of the sauce, choose erythritol or stevia.
- Serve this chicken Parm casserole with a side salad or steamed broccoli for a complete keto-friendly meal.
Keto Chicken Parm Casserole FAQs
Can I use a different type of cheese in this casserole?
Yes, you can experiment with different types of cheese based on your taste preferences.
Can I substitute another protein for the chicken?
Yes, you could try using beef, turkey, pork, or game meat instead of chicken.
Can I make this casserole ahead of time?
Yes, you can assemble the casserole and store it in the refrigerator for up to 2 days before baking.
How do I store and reheat leftover keto chicken Parm casserole?
This dish is best eaten right after being made. But if you have leftovers, store them, covered, in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat in the oven for at least 10 minutes before eating.
Can I freeze this casserole?
Yes, you can freeze the casserole before or after baking. Let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight before cooking and serving.
Other Keto-Friendly Recipes
This keto chicken Parm casserole is a delicious and easy keto-friendly meal option. It’s customizable with different proteins and cheese choices. And it can be made ahead of time for quick and convenient meal prep. Give this recipe a try for your next keto dinner.
- 1 pound cooked chicken breast
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 2 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 2 fresh mozzarella balls
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Start by chopping your cooked chicken, in case you want to cook the chicken for this dish, I recommend using Italian seasoning mix.
- In the baking dish add a fine layer of the marinara sauce.
- Add the cooked and chopped chicken.
- Cover with the rest of the marinara sauce
- Slice the mozzarella balls and layer the slices on top.
- Cover with the grated parmesan cheese.
- Cook in the oven for 15 minutes on 374F/190C until the top has browned and its bubbly and sizzling.
- Serve with some fresh chopped parsley on top.
In case of using store bought marinara sauce, make sure to choose one that does not have added sugar to keep this dish keto. All of them will contain some sugar, but there’s a huge difference between the natural sugars present in the tomatoes and added sugar.
In case you use homemade marinara sauce, make sure to use ripe tomatoes to avoid needing to add sugar. In case you still need to add some to balance the acidity of the sauce, choose erythritol or stevia.
This dish is best eaten right after being made since mozzarella cheese will be melting. In case you want to eat some leftovers or make it in advance, make sure to reheat it in the oven for at least 10 minutes before eating it.
It can be stored in the fridge covered in plastic film for up to 5 days.
If you have fresh basil on hand add it to the dish for the ultimate Italian touch!