This hearty pizza soup will be loved by adults and kids alike! This tomato-based soup is filled pizza favorites like Italian sausage, pepperoni, and spices. The toasted puff pastry croutons are like bits of “crust” just floating on top!
Here we are at the beginning of new year wondering what resolutions we should make. My standard resolution has been “to be a better person.” I’ve decided that is just a cop out. Don’t we all try to be better people? I’ve never been one to set goals, but part of my resolution is to set goals for myself. I’ve never been a goal setter and by the end of each year, I get frustrated with myself for things I wasn’t able to achieve. Setting goals is one resolution.
Watch How To Make This Recipe
My second resolution is to be confident. Social media has played with my emotions and insecurities for far too long. Let’s be real; everyone puts the best version of themselves (real or exaggerated) on Facebook. No one is perfect all the time. People rarely show their vulnerabilities or their fears. They show pictures of themselves with the hopes that other people’s comments will feed their ego, cure their insecurities, or validate them. Over time, even the most resilient of us feel inadequate. This year I will not feel inadequate. I will remember that I am enough. I will stay confident.
My last resolution is to be. Be in the moment; to focus. I would pride myself on the ability to multi-task. But all I was doing was dividing my attention just enough to perform each task with LESS focus. This year I will give my attention to one task at a time and I will perform that one task superbly.
All this talk about resolutions but I have to talk about this soup! This soup has nothing to do with New Year’s resolutions, but it does have to do with staying warm and cozy and feeding your family something amazing. Who doesn’t love pizza? This soup encompasses everything that makes pizza a family favorite. The Italian sausage, pepperoni, and seasoning fill the soup with that savory pizza flavor. The best part just might be the topping! Puff pastry is drizzled with olive oil, garlic, and Parmesan cheese and is lightly baked until golden. With a few of these tasty puffed croutons, it’s like your crust on top of your soup!
Happy New Year everyone!
A fun inside out pizza soup that everyone will love!
- 3 links of Italian Sausage
- 4 oz pepperoni slices
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced,
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil
- 1 28 oz can san marzano tomatoes
- 48 oz chicken broth
- 3 oz tomato paste
- 1 12 oz bag of frozen cheese tortellini
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- Pinch of salt, pepper
- Heat a larg stock pot over medium heat. Add the Italian sausage. Crumble the sausage as it cooks. Cook the sausage until no longer pink. Stir in pepperoni slices. Add onions, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, thyme and basil. Add in the tomatoes, chopping the tomatoes slightly if desired. Add chicken broth and tomato paste. Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Add tortellini during the last 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the puff pastry.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Arrange one sheet of puff pastry on a cutting board. Lightly brush olive oil over the pastry. Sprinkle with garlic powder, Parmesan cheese and salt and pepper. Use a small biscuit cutter to cut pastry into 1 inch circles. Arrange circles on a lined baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden. Serve pastry with soup.