Italian sausage, pepperoni, and blue cheese come together in this unique and flavorful pizza!
I have nothing against cheese pizza or those who order a cheese pizza; I just don’t find it substantial enough for me. When I eat pizza, I want something I can sink my teeth into! I love pizza loaded with things like pepperoni, Italian sausage, or bbq steak. I also love light vegetarian pizzas; like this one with lots of Brussels sprouts and caramelized onions, they all make me very happy. But cheese pizza just doesn’t cut it. It is so, so, what’s the word I’m looking for…flat. Why settle for one topping when the world is full of savory and delicious options!
What I love about this Italian sausage and blue cheese pizza is it is simple, made with just a few ingredients yet it tastes like something found in an upscale pizza shop. Italian sausage, pepperoni, mozzarella, your favorite marinara (or you could use this recipe) are the basis for this pie. While it sounds pretty ordinary, adding crumbled blue cheese makes this a real fancy pants pizza.
I made the crust using yeast from Fleischmann’s that is specially made for pizza dough. The crust is so simple and takes very little time. It is so worth trying! Don’t be intimidated, the dough ingredients are mixed in your stand mixer until the dough comes together. Once the dough is smooth and elastic, you are ready to press it into your pan. At this point, you can add all your very exciting toppings and bake!
Pizza night is changing my friends. Out with the delivered cheese pizza and in with the loaded homemade pizza! Your family is going to love it!
Italian Sausage and Blue Cheese Pizza
An easy homemade pizza crust that is topped with Italian sausage, pepperoni, mozzarella and blue cheese!
For the dough
For the dough
- 1 - 2 cups of flour
- 1 package pizza yeast, 1/4 oz ( I used Fleischmannâ??s)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup very warm water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce ( I used Private Selection from Kroger)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup crumbled cooked, Italian sausage
- 1 cup pepperoni slices
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- In the bowl of a mixer, combine 1 cup of flour, sugar and salt. Add water and oil. Continue to beat the dough for a minute or two or until well blended.
- Gradually stir in remaining flour, 1/2 a cup at a time until dough forms into a ball. Knead the dough with the dough hook until smooth (this should take about 3 minutes). Spray a round pizza pan with nonstick spray. Place pizza dough on the pan and use your fingers to spread out the dough to fit the pan.
- Spread marinara over pizza dough. Top with Italian sausage, pepperoni, and both cheese.
- Place pizza in an oven that has bee preheated to 425 degrees. Bake for 15-17 minutes or until edges are golden and cheese has melted.
More recipes to love: