This veggie pizza is a vegetable lovers dream! Loads of colorful fresh veggies are piled on top of pizza dough for the ultimate pizza! This easy meal could not be easier OR tastier!
I will be honest, I used to hate veggie pizzas. By vegetable pizza, I’m not referring to the crescent roll version made with ranch dressing mix and finely chopped raw veggies. I never minded that version. The dry ranch dressing mix always made everything taste so much better.
I remember ordering pizzas with friends at parties and staring incredulously at anyone whoever suggested we order a veggie pizza. What kind of person wants healthy on a pizza? Turns out the older (wiser) version of myself is the weirdo who wants a veggie pizza.
What Goes On A Veggie Pizza?
Veggies of course! Honestly, almost anything you can dream of can go on your own veggie pizza recipe! I chose to use baby Bella mushrooms, bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, and broccoli on my pizza. But other options are:
- Onions or shallots
- Shredded brussels sprouts
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Roasted red peppers
- Artichoke hearts
- Black Olives
- Green Olives
- Shredded Carrots
You could also add a variety of fresh herbs and sauces like pesto as well as your favorite cheese blends.
How To Make A Veggie Pizza
STEP ONE – Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a pizza pan and fill it with your favorite pizza dough. Spread your favorite sauce over the dough and set aside.
STEP TWO – Heat skillet over medium heat and add mushrooms and peppers. Sautee the veggies just until they begin to soften, season with garlic, salt and basil. Remove the veggies from heat and set aside.
STEP THREE – Place the broccoli along with 2 tablespoons of water in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave broccoli for 2 minutes. Cool slightly
STEP FOUR – Place shredded mozzarella cheese over the pizza sauce. Top with the mushrooms, peppers, broccoli, and halved tomatoes. Dot the pizza with the fresh mozzarella cheese.
STEP FIVE – Bake pizza for 18-20 minutes or until the crust is golden and cheese has melted.
Veggie Pizza Recipe Tips
- I did not make my own pizza crust, I have a favorite frozen dough brand that I love. It saves me time and I think it tastes just as good as the homemade recipes I have tried in the past. Use YOUR favorite pizza dough and your favorite sauce then move onto the veggies.
- I sauteed my mushrooms and peppers just until they began to soften. I wanted to them to maintain some level of firmness. Some people like their veggies to be more on the raw side. If this is you, then saute then for just a minute or so.
- Steam your broccoli in the microwave or a saucepan for about 2 minutes. Again, the broccoli should be bright green and have a little “crunch”. Allow all the vegetables to cool slightly, otherwise, they will melt the cheese before you even get the pizza in the oven!
Is Veggie Pizza Healthy?
Compared to the traditional sausage and pepperoni pizza…heck yes! Veggie pizza are quite healthy; they have loads of vitamins and nutrients and you get lots of calcium and some protein with the cheeses. I would say all in all, veggie pizzas are a very healthy option!
Can You Freeze A Veggie Pizza
I wouldn’t recommend freezing this type of pizza. The vegetables will not reheat well, they will be on the soggier side once the pizza has baked. However, you can assemble the pizza (omit the fresh mozzarella) and freeze it unbaked. Make sure the pizza is thoroughly wrapped in plastic wrap and freeze the pizza for up to 1 month. Thaw the pizza in the fridge. When ready to bake, add the fresh mozzarella and bake the pizza as directed.
Connect with Lemons for Lulu!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #lemonsforlulu! I would love to see your talents!
I have a group dedicated to food and you! Check out my group page on join in on the fun! This is where you can ask questions, share recipes, connect with others and see more of Lemons for Lulu. If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
- Pizza dough
- ½ cup pizza sauce4 oz sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup sliced mini pepper
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 small head of broccoli, stems removed
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella
- 1/3 chopped fresh mozzarella
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a pizza pan and fill it with your favorite pizza dough.
- Cover the pizza with your favorite sauce and set aside.
- Heat skillet over medium heat. Spray with non-stick spray.
- Add mushrooms and peppers. Sautee the veggies just until they begin to soften, season with garlic, salt and basil. Remove the veggies from heat and set aside.
- Place the broccoli along with 2 tablespoons of water in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave broccoli for 2 minutes. Cool slightly
- Place shredded mozzarella cheese over the pizza sauce. Top with the mushrooms, peppers, broccoli, and halved tomatoes.
- Dot the pizza with the fresh mozzarella cheese.
- Bake pizza for 18-20 minutes or until crust is golden and cheese has melted.
Nutrition InformationYield 10 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 91Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 11mgSodium 283mgCarbohydrates 9gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 5g