This easy pizza recipe is based on one of my all-time favorite sandwiches; the Spicy Italian Sub! Deli meat makes all the difference in this pizza.
One taste and I’m sure homemade pizza will make a regular appearance in your kitchen!
We are surrounded by really good pizza restaurants where I live. Some are just everyday pizza parlors and chains and some are upscale, gourmet pizza places. I like them all, our choice to have one over the other is usually based upon the collective mood that our family is in.
My favorite pizza place is called the Pizza Barn and it is in Pioneer Ohio. There is absolutely nothing special about it. The atmosphere is sort of divey with paneled walls and dated tables and chairs. But they make one hella good pizza pie!
From the crust to the sauce to the toppings, that pizza is spot on! There is a good chance I won’t make it up there to have Pizza Barn pizza again. That’s ok. This homemade Spicy Italian Pizza is pretty darn amazing if I do say so myself.
Before we talk about the recipe, let’s first answer the question, “are pizzas Italian?”
Pizza does, in fact, have Italian roots. It was and is a savory dish that consists of a yeast-based dough and is topped with tomatoes, cheese, and other ingredients. It is most often baked at high temperatures or in a wood-fired oven.
What Is A Spicy Italian Pizza?
This spicy Italian pizza has some of the same fillings that I love in my favorite Subway sandwich along with some other standard pizza toppings!
For this homemade pizza recipe you need:
How To Make This Spicy Italian Pizza Recipe?
I started this recipe with a frozen and thawed pizza dough. I have a favorite brand that can be found in my local Kroger store. In comes in a ball, it is nice and soft when it thaws and it is super easy to roll and bake.
You can either have a thin crust or a thick crust, the choice is yours.
Place your crust on your baking sheet or a baking stone.
Top your dough with your favorite pizza sauce or some gussied up on tomato sauce then begin layering on your toppings!
I used cooked and crumbled Italian sausage, a good deli ham, pepperoni, salami, and then shredded cheese.
The pizza won’t take long to bake. It should only take about 15 minutes in a 450-degree oven.
Tips On Making Spicy Italian Pizza
- First of all, if you have a favorite homemade pizza crust recipe, then, by all means, use that. I just have a storebought recipe that I love. It keeps things simple for me.
- Swap out the red sauce for olive oil and garlic or a white sauce!
- I love the spice and flavor the Italian sausage brings to the table, but you can use turkey Italian sausage, or even a tube, breakfast-type sausage.
- Use a high-quality deli ham, something with a lot of flavor, like a capicola ham.
- Use your favorite hard salami, hard, genoa, soppressata, or any other salami you can find and you like.
- You can add any other toppings that you like, deli turkey, bacon, prosciutto as well as the vegetables that you and your family prefer.
- Fresh mozzarella melts nicely and is a great way to finish off your pizza!
- To add a little more spice, top your pizza with red pepper flakes once it comes out of the oven!
This spicy Italian pizza is for meat lovers and it is all about flavor! This the kind of pizza that you can really sink your teeth into! It is as good as any “meat lovers” pizza out there!
Like this pizza? Then you may like:
- 1 pizza dough
- ⅓ cup pizza sauce
- ½ lb cooked crumbled Italian sausage
- 2 slices deli ham, chopped
- 2 oz sliced pepperoni
- 2 chopped salami
- 1 ½ cups shredded pizza cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Spray a pizza pan with non-stick spray and set aside
- Prepare the dough by rolling into the desired shaping and thickness, place the dough onto the prepared pan.
- Top the pizza with the sauce, crumbled sausage, ham, pepperoni, salami, and shredded cheese.
- Bake the pizza for 12-15 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and the edges are brown.
- Remove the pizza and top with red pepper flakes if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 198Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 28mgSodium 573mgCarbohydrates 12gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 10g
Connect with me:
Connect with Lemons for Lulu!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #lemonsforlulu! I would love to see your talents!
I have a group dedicated to food and you! Check out my group page on facebook and join in on the fun! This is where you can ask questions, share recipes, connect with others and see more of Lemons for Lulu. If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.