Spicy Italian subs are the perfect game day sandwich! Deli meat and provolone cheese are piled high in these thick and flavorful spicy Italian sub sandwiches!
The best Italian subs I ever ate were found in a dive bar near the University of Cincinnati.
What Is An Italian Sub Sandwich?
A spicy Italian sandwich features a blend of meats and cheeses on a sub bun with a few veggie fixings and a vinegar-based dressing. It is quick, easy, and of the most filling sandwiches around!
How To Make Italian Subs
You can’t have a good spicy Italian sub without a good sub roll. For these subs, I like to use sub rolls found near the deli. You want something that is easy to cut into, can hold a lot of filling, and that will crisp up just enough when it comes out of the oven!
Now, let’s talk filling! I spread a scant amount of mayo on the inside of only half of my sub roll, I didn’t want the mayo to be too pronounced (please adjust this to your tastes).
Next, I layer in my favorite sub-ingredients like sliced provolone, ham, sliced turkey, hard salami, and sandwich pepperoni into the belly of each sub roll. This is why you want to make sure sub rolls can open wide enough to hold the filling without splitting at the bottom.
What To Put On A Spicy Italian Sub
What To Serve With Italian Subs
Spicy Italian Sub Substitutions
You can easily swap out the cheese for your favorite; mozzarella would make a great choice. As far as deli meats go, Mortadella, Capicola,, or Soppressata make great substitutions for the ham, pepperoni, and salami.
If you do not want to use the chili sauce, chili flakes tossed with the salad would be a great way to change up the recipe.
- 4 submarine sandwich rolls
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 8 sliced ham
- 8 slices of turkey
- 12 slices hard salami
- 12 slices sandwich pepperoni
- 4 tablespoons Sambal Oelek Chili Paste (optional)
- 8 oz shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1 large tomato, sliced and quartered
- 1/4 olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cut sandwich rolls along one seam being careful to not cut all the way through. Spread may on each side of sub roll.
- Top each roll with cheese, ham, turkey, salami and pepperoni. Spread a tablespoon of chili paste on each sub.
- Heat in the oven for 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Meanwhile place lettuce in a bowl. Whisk together oil, vinegar and seasoning. Pour over lettuce.
- When sandwiches have heated, divide lettuce among each of the subs and top with tomato slices.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 887Total Fat 53gSaturated Fat 20gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 30gCholesterol 206mgSodium 3110mgCarbohydrates 36gFiber 3gSugar 7gProtein 64g