Every good party needs party sandwiches! These Hot Italian party sandwiches are the perfect, hand-held food that will please even the hardiest partygoer!
These hot Italian party sandwiches pay homage to my favorite sandwich of all time. There was a sub shop near the University of Cincinnati that made the best Italian sandwiches ever. The sandwich shop was in the back of a hole in the wall dive bar. There were exactly three grimy, red, rickety booths for customers to dine in. I ate at that sub shop every Friday for four years during college. But my love affair with the sandwich started in high school.
When I was a senior in high school, my friend and I would skip our last class (Humanities; it was super boring) and hop in my friend’s car. We would make the 25-minute drive to the University campus, park, get our sandwiches and eat them on the way home. Looking back there were so many things wrong with this scenario; the skipping of class (I still got an A), the high-speed drive to and from, the illegal parking and the eating while driving. But we were young, stupid and damn; those sandwiches were worth it!
I still love a good Italian style sandwich as you can see with these Italian Cheesesteaks and these Spicy Italians Subs. These party sandwiches are missing a few ingredients from the original sandwich, but they are still so good. I start with mini Hawaiian buns which get slathered on the inside with a little garlicky mayo, and then I pile on the meat! I chose to use hard salami, capicola, ham, pepperoni and a mix of cheeses. A little homemade dressing seasons the inside while melted butter glistens on top! You can choose any variation of meats and cheeses that make you happy. But the combination shared here is pretty remarkable. These hot Italian party sandwiches will be the center of the appetizer table and a hit with your guests, AND they would be a hit as dinner with your family on any night of the week!
- 12 mini sandwich buns
- 2 tablespoons mayo
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 slice hard salami
- 1/4 lb capicola
- 6 slice provolone
- 4 slices deli ham
- 9 slice sandwich pepperoni
- 6 slice mozzarella
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice the whole loaf of rolls in half horizontally, keeping them connected.
- In a bowl, combine mayo and garlic. Spread mayo over the bottom half of the rolls. Layer hard salami, capicola, provolone, ham, pepperoni and mozzarella slices over the mayo.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, oregano, and salt. Drizzle dressing mixture on the inside of the top buns before placing them over the meat mixture.
- Brush melted butter over the tops of the sandwiches and sprinkle with onion powder.
- Bake sandwiches for 20 minutes or until tops are golden and the cheese begins to melt.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 347Total Fat 19gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 44mgSodium 967mgCarbohydrates 27gFiber 2gSugar 1gProtein 16g