Chicken lettuce wraps are delicious bundles for lunch or dinner. Lettuce wraps with garlicky chicken, crisp veggies, and spicy almonds!
Eating with your hands has never been so good!
These Thai lettuce cups are a dish you get to eat with your hands making them the perfect light meal or appetizer. they’re so tasty and packed with a blend of flavors and textures that you will not forget about any time soon. Giving this keto lettuce wraps a little kick of spice is some siracha almonds and Sambal Oelek which takes our healthy chicken lettuce wraps and really makes them stand out. The combination of crunchy, crispy, refreshing and the kick of heat paired together with it all makes for a pleasurable feasting experience.
Thai Chicken Wraps
Chunks of chicken are tossed with brown sugar and chili pepper flakes and then cooked with tender shiitake mushrooms. A ginger soy sauce coats each bite. The lettuce wraps are filled with the chicken and then topped with cool cucumbers and crisp carrots. The best part is the spicy chopped Sriracha almonds that are sprinkled over top. The blend of flavors and textures makes this a huge hit every time it’s served!
For the chicken mixture, you will need:
- Canola oil
- Chicken tenders
- Brown sugar
- Garlic cloves
- Red pepper flakes
- Shitake mushrooms
For the sauce, you will need:
- Rice wine vinegar
- Soy sauce
- Jarred ginger
- Garlic cloves
More filling ingredients, you will need::
- Blue Diamond Sriracha Almonds
- Sambal Oelek
- Lettuce leaves
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
How to Make Easy Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Heat your oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Cube the chicken and combine with brown sugar, garlic, and pepper flakes, tossing well to coat.
- Add your chicken to the hot skillet and cook until the chicken is no longer pink. This should take about 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in the mushrooms and cook for another 2 minutes or until the mushrooms are soft.
- In a bowl, combine the vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and cornstarch. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and cook until thick (another minute). Remove the pan from the heat.
- Arrange your lettuce leaves on a serving platter and divide the chicken amongst the leaves.
- Sprinkle each with cucumber, carrots, and almonds.
- Drizzle the chili garlic sauce and garnish with cilantro.
What is the best lettuce for wraps?
The two most common types of lettuce to use for lettuce wraps are iceberg lettuce and butter lettuce. While butter lettuce is delicious, iceberg lettuce has a nice crunch to it when you bite down making it more ideal for a nicer texture. Both types of lettuce are high in water content a low in nutrients so they should just be thought of as low carb vessels for transporting the filling to your mouth.
Can I store the leftovers?
Leftover chicken wraps can be kept stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days. If you plan on having leftovers, you can keep the filling and the lettuce separated so that they last up to 5 days. You will want to make sure that the lettuce is washed well, dried, and kept in an airtight container with a paper towel so that it can stay fresh and crisp.
Where to find Sambal Oelek
I found my Sambal Oelek red chili paste in the Thai section of my local grocery store. This is usually the international aisle where you find everything from around the world. If you can’t find this you can replace it with regular hot sauce or another chili sauce option.
Tasty chicken recipes you’re going to love:
- Chicken Lettuce Wraps with Mango Salsa
- Greek Chicken Souvlaki Recipe
- Chicken Kiev
- Baked Chicken Parmesan Pasta
- Chicken Nachos With White Alabama BBQ Sauce
- One Pot Chicken Parmesan Recipe
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken tenders
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon jarred ginger (I used a tube)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 5 oz shitake mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped Blue Diamond Sriracha Almonds
- 2 teaspoons Sambal Oelek (Chili Garlic Sauce)
- 6 bibb lettuce leaves
- cilantro for garnish
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cube chicken. Combine chicken, brown sugar, garlic and pepper flakes; toss to coat. Add chicken to hot skillet and cook until chicken is no longer pink, about 8-10 minutes. Stir in mushrooms. Cook for 2 more minutes or until mushrooms are soft.
- In a bowl, combine vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, garlic and cornstarch. Whisk until smooth. Pour over chicken mixture and cook an additional minute or until thick, remove from heat.
- Arrange lettuce on a serving platter. Divide chicken among lettuce leaves. Sprinkle each with cucumber, carrots and almonds. Drizzle with chili garlic sauce and garnish with cilantro.
Amount Per Serving Calories 428Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 52mgSodium 2202mgCarbohydrates 38gFiber 3gSugar 11gProtein 24g