Chicken lettuce wraps are delicious bundles for lunch or dinner. Lettuce wraps with garlicky chicken, crisp veggies and spicy almonds! Eating with your hands has never been so good!
As a parent, you know it is your job to raise happy, healthy, well rounded children. You are active in their education, you socialize them by arranging play dates and activities and you drive them all over the city to get them to enrichment programs and sports. But, lets face it, it is also our job to be sure that when our children are adults, they move out of the house. This is where we spend time cultivating life skills like how to cook and how to do the laundry. You also want to raise fully functioning, self sufficient adults right? While marriage is not a must in terms of happiness, it really is sort of nice. Plus I want grand children one day (in the VERY distant future).
This is why I go crazy loco when I see my kids eating with their hands! They will never be accepted into society let alone the homes of future in laws if they eat like that! I’m not talking about food like sandwiches or french fries. It would be weird to eat those with forks. I’m talking about things like rice and pasta! That grosses me out! I feel like night after night I’m reminding someone to eat with their forks.
Then what do I do? I make lettuce wraps. This you have to eat with your hands and it’s good and messy (in a good way). Man these are tasty. Chunks of chicken are tossed with brown sugar and chili pepper flakes and then cooked with tender shiitake mushrooms. A ginger soy sauce coats each bite. The lettuce wraps are filled with the chicken and then topped with cool cucumbers and crisp carrots. The best part is the spicy chopped Sriracha almonds that are sprinkled over top. The blend of flavors and textures makes this a pleasurable feasting experience!
The irony of it all is my kids took one look at these lettuce wraps and asked, “should I eat this with a fork”. Maybe they do listen.
Easy chicken lettuce wraps are simple to make and fun to eat!
[Tweet “Easy chicken lettuce wraps; simple to make and fun to eat! “]
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken tenders
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon jarred ginger (I used a tube)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 5 oz shitake mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped Blue Diamond Sriracha Almonds
- 2 teaspoons Sambal Oelek (Chili Garlic Sauce)
- 6 bibb lettuce leaves
- cilantro for garnish
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cube chicken. Combine chicken, brown sugar, garlic and pepper flakes; toss to coat. Add chicken to hot skillet and cook until chicken is no longer pink, about 8-10 minutes. Stir in mushrooms. Cook for 2 more minutes or until mushrooms are soft.
- In a bowl, combine vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, garlic and cornstarch. Whisk until smooth. Pour over chicken mixture and cook an additional minute or until thick, remove from heat.
- Arrange lettuce on a serving platter. Divide chicken among lettuce leaves. Sprinkle each with cucumber, carrots and almonds. Drizzle with chili garlic sauce and garnish with cilantro.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 428 Total Fat 20g Saturated Fat 3g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 14g Cholesterol 52mg Sodium 2202mg Carbohydrates 38g Fiber 3g Sugar 11g Protein 24g
Hungry for more:
Tropical Shrimp Lettuce Wraps – Lemon Tree Dwelling
Chicken Lettuce Cups – Cooking Light
I may be linking this up to these parties and to The Weekend Potluck.