Chicken Kiev has a perfect coating on the outside and lots of fresh seasoning hidden on the inside!
I don’t know Chicken Kiev seems old-fashioned or retro kind of recipe much like a jello mold or Pigs in a Blanket. The reality is these recipes are very relative today. Some old fashioned recipes have staying power for a reason because they are delicious! People loved them once, they love them now and they will always love them (well maybe except for the jello mold)
What Is Chicken Kiev?
Chicken Kiev is a rolled chicken dish that is filled with cold, herb-infused butter, then is breaded then baked. The dish has Russian origins.
What Is Inside Chicken Kiev
This is the best part….butter! Butter is infused with herbs like parsley and scallions, but sometimes you see dried (or fresh) thyme, basil, and oregano. The butter is wrapped in a piece of plastic wrap and set to chill in the fridge. This recipe works best with cold butter.
How To Bake Chicken Kiev
Not only does this recipe need cold butter, but it needs thin cuts of chicken. I use chicken breasts and pound them using a mallet until they are thin. Thin chicken breasts can be filled and easily rolled. The thin chicken will cook evenly and quickly.
Slice the butter and place the herbed butter slices onto the center of each chicken breast and roll each pie up like a jelly roll. You may need to secure the chicken with toothpicks.
Each chicken roll piece is dipped in egg wash or an egg and water mixture and then the chicken is dipped in bread crumbs that have been set in a shallow bowl. Place the chicken in a baking dish.
The chicken is baked for 30-40 minutes or until the chicken registers 165 degrees when tested with a meat thermometer. The bread crumbs will be golden brown.
Can You Reheat Chicken Kiev?
Yes, you can although the filling may not be intact and the chicken could dry out, yes the chicken can be reheated.
Chicken Kiev can be cooked from frozen. Place frozen pieces of chicken on your baking dish and bake for 50 minutes or until it reaches the correct temperature.
What To Serve with Chicken Kiev
What Wine Do You Serve With Chicken Kiev
A Chablis, a Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc are your best options as a match for Chicken Kiev.
More Chicken Recipes
Connect with Lemons for Lulu!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #lemonsforlulu! I would love to see your talents!
I have a group dedicated to food and you! Check out my group page on join in on the fun! This is where you can ask questions, share recipes, connect with others and see more of Lemons for Lulu. If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 2 tablespoon parsley divided
- 1 garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chives
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 whole eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water.
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 3/4 panko bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- In a bowl, combine butter spread, parsley and garlic. Place mixture in plastic wrap and roll into a 4 inch log. Place in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9x13 inch pan with non stick spray and set aside.
- Place chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap. Pound chicken until they are thin, about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. Place a slice of herbed butter and chives in the middle of your chicken breast and roll up sealing the butter in as much as possible. Toothpicks might be needed to secure chicken.
- Combine eggs and water in a bowl. Add bread crumbs, panko, salt, pepper in a separate bowl. Dunk chicken bundles in egg mixture, let excess drip off and then roll in coating. Place chicken in prepared pan. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Bake chicken for 30-40 minutes or until juices run clear.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 544Total Fat 31gSaturated Fat 17gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 256mgSodium 1023mgCarbohydrates 20gFiber 2gSugar 2gProtein 44g