Chicken Kiev has a perfect coating on the outside and lots of fresh seasoning hidden on the inside!
It’s a dish served around the world and for great reason- it’s truly delicious!
Homemade chicken kiev is retro comfort food that doesn’t get as much airtime as it should. it’s such a delicious meal that’s easy to make and always company ready.
This recipe has been around for decades and it’s not hard to see why. Just like Pigs in a Blanket or Jello, some old-fashioned recipes have staying power for a reason -because they are delicious! People loved them once, they love them now and they will always love them.
What Is Chicken Kiev?
Chicken kiev is a dish that comes from Russia and Ukraine. It is made from chicken breasts that have been pounded flat and rolled around a filling made of cold butter and herbs while the outside is coated in crumbs.
The dish can be fried or baked, and in our case, we’re baking it until it’s golden brown and perfectly tender. What I love most about this recipe is the butter.
Our butter is infused with herbs like parsley and scallions, but sometimes you see dried (or fresh) thyme, basil, and oregano. The butter is wrapped in a piece of plastic wrap and set to chill in the fridge. This recipe works best with cold butter.
Ingredients you’ll need for Chicken Kiev:
- Minced garlic
- Chicken breasts
- Panko breadcrumbs
For the exact measurements needed, please see the recipe card below.
How To Make Chicken Kiev
- Combine the butter, parsley, and garlic in a bowl, and then place in plastic wrap and roll to make a 4-inch log. Let chill in the fridge for one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and spray the inside of a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray. Set it aside.
- Pound your chicken breasts flat between two pieces of plastic wrap. You want them about 1/2-3/4 inch thick.
- Slice the butter and place the herbed butter slices onto the center of each chicken breast and roll each pie up like a jelly roll. You may need to secure the chicken with toothpicks.
- Each chicken roll piece is dipped in egg wash or an egg and water mixture and then the chicken is dipped in bread crumbs that have been set in a shallow bowl. Place the chicken in a baking dish.
- The chicken is baked for 30-40 minutes or until the chicken registers 165 degrees when tested with a meat thermometer. The bread crumbs will be golden brown.
- Make the chicken thin. Not only does this recipe need cold butter, but it needs thin cuts of chicken. I use chicken breasts and pound them using a mallet until they are thin. Thin chicken breasts can be filled and easily rolled. The thin chicken will cook evenly and quickly.
- You can freeze chicken kiev for later. Chicken Kiev can be cooked from frozen. Place frozen pieces of chicken on your baking dish and bake for 50 minutes or until it reaches the correct temperature.
Can You Reheat Chicken Kiev?
Yes, you can although the filling may not be intact and the chicken could dry out, yes the chicken can be reheated. Place it in a baking dish or on a baking sheet in the oven at 350 degrees F until cooked through and the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. This will be about 20-30 minutes.
What To Serve with Chicken Kiev
This recipe can easily go with just about anything. Some of our favorites to serve alongside it include a simply made pasta dish, roasted potatoes, an easy Spinach Salad, or even this Brussels Sprouts and Farro Salad.
What Wine Do You Serve With Chicken Kiev
Some great wine pairings for this chicken recipe include A Chablis, a Chardonnay, or Sauvignon Blanc. They are definitely your best options as a match for the flavors and richness of Chicken Kiev.
More Chicken Recipes
- Balsamic Chicken Recipe
- Chicken Saltimboca
- Roasted Chicken Recipe
- Chicken With Blue Cheese and Grapes
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 2 tablespoon parsley divided
- 1 garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chives
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 whole eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water.
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 3/4 panko bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- In a bowl, combine butter spread, parsley and garlic. Place mixture in plastic wrap and roll into a 4 inch log. Place in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9x13 inch pan with non stick spray and set aside.
- Place chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap. Pound chicken until they are thin, about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. Place a slice of herbed butter and chives in the middle of your chicken breast and roll up sealing the butter in as much as possible. Toothpicks might be needed to secure chicken.
- Combine eggs and water in a bowl. Add bread crumbs, panko, salt, pepper in a separate bowl. Dunk chicken bundles in egg mixture, let excess drip off and then roll in coating. Place chicken in prepared pan. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Bake chicken for 30-40 minutes or until juices run clear.
Amount Per Serving Calories 544Total Fat 31gSaturated Fat 17gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 256mgSodium 1023mgCarbohydrates 20gFiber 2gSugar 2gProtein 44g