Need a good recipe for Brussels sprouts? This unique side dish features hearty farro and sauteed Brussels sprouts tossed with a honey mustard dressing! So healthy and delicious!
I don’t know about your family, but my family is in a rut when it comes to Thanksgiving sides. We have the usual mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing, cranberry sauce and some sort of sweet potato dish. We vary our veggies or salads, and sometimes we have rolls or spanakopita, but for the most part, this is we feast upon every.single.year.
This year I’m determined to shake things up. While Brussels sprouts often make an appearance at our Thanksgiving table, they are rarely turned into a salad, and they are never mixed with farro. Farro is a wheat grain that hearty, but delicious. It adapts to any recipe and is a fantastic substitution for rice or barley. My family prefers farro to quinoa too.
This recipe for Brussels sprouts and farro comes together very quickly. The farro will take the longest, get that on the stove first and then turn your attention to your Brussels sprouts. I used chicken broth to boil my farro, but you could certainly use water or vegetable broth if you prefer. For the sprouts, start off by browning a few slices of bacon. The grease and the salt from the bacon will add so much flavor to your sprouts. Remove your bacon and add your halved Brussels sprouts. Cook these until they begin to soften and caramelize: about 8-10 minutes. Remove the sprouts and toss them with a very simple honey dijon dressing. Add in your farro and stir to coat.
You family will LOVE this recipe for Brussels sprouts and farro. It is a simple side dish that is full of flavor and textures. It will appeal to everyone whether they are familiar with farro or not. I think it’s time to go out with the old and in with the new. Let’s shake things up this Thanksgiving and give our tastes buds something new to savor!
Recipe for Brussels Sprouts and Farro Salad
This is more than a side dish, this recipe for Brussels sprouts is life changing! Crisp sprouts are combined with hearty farro and tossed with a tangy honey dijon dressing!
- 1 cup dried farro ( I used Bob's Red Mill)
- 2 cups chicken broth ( used Simple Truth Organic)
- 6 strips of bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb brussels sprouts halved
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons coarse grain mustard (I used Private Selection)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Prepare farro according to package directions, substituting chicken broth for water.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add chopped bacon and cook until crisp. Remove bacon and set aside.
- To the same skillet add halved Brussels sprouts. Cook sprouts over medium heat just until they soften and begin to caramelize; about 8-10 minutes. Sprinkle sprouts with salt and thyme, stir.
- Remove sprouts to a bowl.
- In a bowl, whisk together vinegar, mustard, honey, olive oil and garlic. Pour over Brussels sprouts and farro, stir to coat.
- Pour dressing over Brussels Sprouts. Add farro to sprouts and stir to coat.
I’ve joined forces with my fellow bloggers to bring you 25 Amazing Thanksgiving Recipes!
Not only that, each blogger is hosting their own giveaway! Enter here to win a $50 ETSY GIFT CARD. Then visit each blog to enter the giveaways on their blogs! That’s 25 recipes and 25 prizes; a great way to start the holidays
To enter, simply leave a comment telling me your favorite Thanksgiving side dish. That’s it!
- Homemade Orange Cider Cranberry Sauce via The Snappy Gourmet
- Cheesy Garlic Herb Potatoes and Squash via Sugar Dish Me
- 5-Ingredient Pecan Pie Fudge via Texanerin Baking
- Brussels Sprouts and Farro Salad via Lemons for Lulu
- Sweet Potato Cheesecake via Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Cranberry Side Dish via Cooking on the Front Burner
- Fig and Goat Cheese Ball via Eat. Drink. Love
- Overnight Pumpkin Monkey Bread via Barbara Bakes
- Classic Apple Pie via Comfortable Domestic
- Acorn Squash Puree via Daily Appetite
- Pumpkin Banana Bread via Java Cupcake
- Green Beans with Almonds and Bacon via From Valerie’s Kitchen
- Classic Pecan Pie via That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Turkey Tenderloins with Mushroom Shallot Tarragon Gravy via All Roads Lead to the Kitchen
- Sweet Potato Casserole Donut Holes via Cupcake Project
- Maple Mashed Sweet Potatoes via Chocolate Slopes
- Triple Spice Pumpkin Buttermilk Pie via Frugal Foodie Mama
- Homemade Cranberry Sauce via The Adventure Bite
- Twice Baked Potatoes via My Gluten Free Kitchen
- Green Bean Quinoa Casserole via Lauren Kelly Nutrition
- Warm Sweet Potato, Bacon, and Leek Salad with Cheddar Biscuit Breadcrumbs via Sarcastic Cooking
- Pumpkin Slab Pie via The Kitchen is My Playground
- Prosciutto Wrapped Parmesan Pears & Greens via The Complete Savorist
- Cranberry Apple Charlotte via The Redhead Baker
- Pumpkin Ricotta Chocolate Chip Bread via Ari’s Menu