This recipe for Brussels Sprouts and Farro Salad is a unique side dish that is healthy and delicious!
Featuring hearty farro and sauteed Brussels sprouts tossed with a honey mustard dressing.
Making this healthy brussel sprouts side dish is a perfect way to elevate your meal. We love serving it up during the holiday feasts because more veggies never hurt. the farro wheat is a hearty and delicious grain that when added with the brussel sprouts turns into a wonderful warm salad. Your family will LOVE this recipe for Brussels sprouts and farro. It is a simple side dish that is full of flavor and textures. It will appeal to everyone whether they are familiar with farro or not. I think it’s time to go out with the old and in with the new. Let’s shake things up this Thanksgiving and give our tastes buds something new to savor!
Making Brussel Sprout Farro Salad
This recipe for Brussels sprouts and farro comes together very quickly. The farro will take the longest, so get that on the stove first, and then turn your attention to your Brussels sprouts. I used chicken broth to boil my farro, but you could certainly use water or vegetable broth if you prefer. For the sprouts, start off by browning a few slices of bacon. The grease and the salt from the bacon will add so much flavor to your sprouts. Remove your bacon and add your halved Brussels sprouts. Cook these until they begin to soften and caramelize and then toss them with a very simple honey dijon dressing and the farro. So simple!
- Dried farro
- Chicken broth
- Bacon strips
- Brussels sprouts
- Dried thyme
For the dressing, you will need:
- White wine vinegar
- Coarse grain mustard
- Olive oil
- Garlic cloves
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
How to Make Recipe for Brussels Sprouts and Farro Salad
- Prepare the farro according to the package directions, using chicken broth in place of the water.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat and add in the chopped bacon. Cook until crispy. Remove the bacon and then set aside.
- In the bacon greased skillet add in the halved brussel sprouts.
- Cook the sprouts over medium heat until they just begin to soften and caramelize. This should take about 8-10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the sprouts with salt and thyme. Stir together to combine.
- Remove the sprouts and place them into a bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together the vinegar, mustard, honey, olive oil, and garlic.
- Pour the dressing over the brussel sprouts.
- Add the farro to the bowl of brussel sprouts.
- Toss everything together to combine.
- Serve warm.
Depending on the cut of your bacon you may find that it is easier to cook the bacon as a strip and simply crumble it up after it has been made crispy. This can be an easier process than cutting the bacon into tiny pieces and then cooking them.
How to prepare Brussel sprouts
Prepare the Brussels by washing them thoroughly under cool running water. Then transfer to a cutting board where you will cut off the wooden-like bottom end pieces. After that place, the brussel sprouts so that the cut piece is down on the cutting board. Slice in half to reveal all of the layers inside. If your sprouts are large you may want to quarter them so that all of the pieces are more uniform in size.
How long is brussel sprout salad good for?
This dish can be kept stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 or 4 days. Reheat again before serving.
Can I prepare the farro in advance?
Yes, you can make the farro for this recipe up to 2 days in advance and keep it stored in an airtight container in the fridge. When ready to cook simply add it to a pan and saute until warmed through before setting it aside to follow along with the recipe.
If you love sprouts you may also love these other great brussel sprout recipes!
- Homemade Pizza with Caramelized Onions and Brussels Sprouts
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Almonds and Feta
- Brussels Sprout Beef Stir Fry
- Hot Bacon Brussels Sprout Salad
- Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with Fig Glaze
- 1 cup dried farro ( I used Bob's Red Mill)
- 2 cups chicken broth ( used Simple Truth Organic)
- 6 strips of bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb brussels sprouts halved
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons coarse grain mustard (I used Private Selection)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Prepare farro according to package directions, substituting chicken broth for water.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add chopped bacon and cook until crisp. Remove bacon and set aside.
- To the same skillet add halved Brussels sprouts. Cook sprouts over medium heat just until they soften and begin to caramelize; about 8-10 minutes. Sprinkle sprouts with salt and thyme, stir.
- Remove sprouts to a bowl.
- In a bowl, whisk together vinegar, mustard, honey, olive oil, and garlic.
- Pour dressing over Brussels Sprouts.
- Add farro to sprouts and stir to coat.
Amount Per Serving Calories 231Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 23mgSodium 782mgCarbohydrates 21gFiber 4gSugar 6gProtein 9g