Homemade Pizza with Caramelized Onions and Brussels Sprouts is a high-class pizza recipe that will have you feeling satisfied. A simple pizza dough topped with naturally sweet caramelized onions and crisp Brussels sprouts!
This brussel sprout pizza recipe is as unique as it is delicious. Delivery pizza is a wonderful thing, but nothing ever beats a homemade pizza and nothing can beat this perfectly balanced pizza recipe. Made with caramelized onions and fresh brussel sprouts every bite is sweet and savory and perfect for any occasion. You’re going to love how easy it is to make your own pizza from scratch.
About this Pizza with Caramelized Onions and Brussels Sprouts
Caramelized onions are one of my favorite things. They may sound intimidating if you’ve never tried them, but they are incredibly simple. The onions become intense and sweet which also makes them the perfect partner for the slightly bitter taste of Brussels sprouts. I used fontina cheese in this homemade pizza because I like the slightly nutty taste, and I find it melts extremely well. But Monterey jack or even mozzarella are nice choices as well.
The dough is a snap to prepare. I used a yeast specially made for pizza dough. This yeast does not require your dough to rise, which is fabulous. If that doesn’t get you to make pizza at home, then I don’t know what will. Plus the pizza crust is so soft and fluffy.
- All-purpose flour
- Pizza yeast
- Granulated sugar
- Very warm water
- Olive oil
- Shredded fontina cheese
- Brussels sprouts
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
How to Make Homemade Pizza with Caramelized Onions and Brussels Sprouts
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine 1 cup of flour, sugar, and salt.
- Add in water and oil.
- Continue to beat the dough for a minute or two until they are well blended.
- Gradually stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until the dough forms a ball.
- Knead the dough with the dough hook until smooth. This should take about 3 minutes to achieve.
- Spray a round pizza pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the dough onto the pan and use your fingers to spread it out to fit the pan.
- In a large skillet, heat two teaspoons of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions to the pan.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook the onions until they are very soft and caramel in color. This should take about 15 minutes.
- Remove the onions from the heat and then set them aside.
Assemble and bake:
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- Drizzle the remaining teaspoon of olive oil over the top of the dough.
- Spread the minced garlic over the oil.
- Top the pizza with fontina cheese and caramelized onions.
- Bake the pizza in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the top with Brussel sprouts before serving.
Can I prepare this pizza in advance?
You can make the caramelized onions up to 3 or 4 days in advance and keep them stored in an airtight container in the fridge. You can also prepare the pizza dough and keep it in a plastic wrap covered oiled bowl as it rests up to 24 hours in the fridge. Then when you are ready to bake your pizza, simply assemble and bake.
How long are leftover pizza slices good for?
You can keep your leftover pizza in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat before eating or if you enjoy your pizza colder, you may go ahead and eat the pizza straight out of the fridge for a faster snack.
What other pizza crusts will work?
If you do not want to make your own pizza dough by hand you can take and use a premade ball of dough from the grocery store instead. You can also opt for something simpler like flatbread or prebaked pizza crusts. This can help to reduce the prep time and still give you tasty fabulous results.
Looking for more tasty pizza recipes? Check out these suggestions!
- Pizza Burger
- Supreme Pizza Dip Recipe
- Spicy Pizza Poppers
- Kale and Sausage Pizza
- Pizza Stuffed Mushroom Recipe (Whole 30)
- Mexican Street Corn Flatbread Pizza
- 1 - 2 cups of flour
- 1 package pizza yeast, 1/4 oz ( I used Fleischmann's)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup very warm water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups shredded fontina cheese
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced brussels sprouts
- In the bowl of a mixer, combine 1 cup of flour, sugar and salt. Add water and oil. Continue to beat the dough for a minute or two or until well blended.
- Gradually stir in remaining flour, 1/2 a cup at a time until dough forms into a ball. Knead the dough with the dough hook until smooth (this should take about 3 minutes). Spray a round pizza pan with nonstick spray. Place pizza dough on the pan and use your fingers to spread out the dough to fit the pan
- In a large skillet, heat two teaspoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add onions to the pan. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook onions until they are very soft and caramel in color. This should take about 15 minutes. Remove onions from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425. Drizzle the remaining teaspoon of olive oil over dough. Spread minced garlic over olive oil. Top pizza with fontina cheese and caramelized onions.
- Bake pizza in the heated oven for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle Brussels sprouts over pizza before serving.
Amount Per Serving Calories 364Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 37mgSodium 522mgCarbohydrates 32gFiber 2gSugar 3gProtein 13g