Pizza night gets sophisticated! Simple caramelized onions, spicy Italian turkey sausage and creamy Gouda cheese
are spread over a pre made pizza dough for a quick and easy meal any night of the week!
One of the first few meals I made for my husband after we got married was a Malaysian pizza. It sounded promising. It had fiery spices, peanut butter, chicken… so many flavors I love. I had high hopes as I spread out the crust and topped it with my piquant chicken mixture. I skipped about the kitchen, setting the table as the sultry aroma of red pepper and ginger wafted through the air. When our international feast was ready, I served up slices for both my husband and myself and we eagerly dug in.
You cannot imagine how quickly those first bites flew out of our mouths. I don’t exactly know where I failed in preparing that recipe, but it was the most disgusting pizza. Actually, it was the most disgusting food we have ever tasted! The chicken mixture created almost a peanut brittle crust right over parts of the pizza dough. The other parts resembled melted caramel. I do love melted caramel, but not on my dinner. It was a nightmare. Out went the Malaysian pizza, in came the pizza delivery man.
I’ve never even tried to recreate that pizza. Some things are just better left in the past, you know what I mean? Caramelized onions are not one of those things, however. They’ve quickly become one of my most favorite ingredients. They are insanely easy to prepare. They basically cook themselves. Simply add some fat to a pan (butter or oil) and let your onions cook down until they are soft and golden. Their tantalizingly sweet flavor lend themselves perfectly to the spicy Italian turkey sausage. The Gouda cheese is creamy and mild enough to compliment, rather than detract any flavor from the onions. I used a Pillsbury thin crust pizza dough because I am all about simplicity.
Now this pizza adventure is one I will explore again and again. I believe my husband would agree!
SIMPLE AND SAVORY
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! SUBSCRIBE TO MY EMAIL TODAY!
Don’t forget you can save each of these recipes to your personal recipe box , create your own meal plan, or add ingredients for each recipe to your shopping list! Just use the “Save Recipe” on all my recipes!
Caramelized Onion and Sausage Pizza
- 1 can (11oz) thin crust pizza dough (I used Pillsbury)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 lb ground turkey Italian Sausage
- 2 cups Gouda cheese, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Preheat oven to 400. Unroll pizza crust and spread onto a baking sheet. Spread 1 tablespoon olive over dough along with minced garlic. Set aside.
- In a large skillet heat olive oil. Add sliced onion, salt and sugar. Cook onions for about 20 minutes or until they become caramel in color and are soft. Be sure to stir onions every 5 minutes to prevent them from burning and sticking to the pan. Add vinegar during the last few minutes of cooking, stir until liquid has evaporated.
- In a separate skillet, cook crumbled Italian sausage until completely browned. Top pizza with sausage, shredded cheese, onions, rosemary and oregano. Cook 10-12 minutes or until edges have browned
SEE THIS ON MY PINTEREST BOARD!
I may be linking this up to these parties and to
Want more pizza?