Mildly spicy jalapenos are stuffed with two kinds of cheese and wrapped in sweet smokey bacon to make these stuffed jalapeños. You’re going to love this simple appetizer recipe!
Made with fresh jalapenos, juicy salty bacon, and a creamy cheese filling, every bite of these bacon-wrapped jalapenos is a flavorful experience you’ll enjoy. While you could go out and order jalapeno poppers from a restaurant they’re so much easier and fun to make at home (plus you can eat as many as you want).
These jalapeno appetizers are a perfect game day tailgating snack or for serving at a party. Serving them alongside some grilled meats or Mexican-inspired recipes can also be a great way to bring them to the table any night of the week!
- Bacon- I do not recommend using thick cut bacon as it will be harder to wrap and not cook as evenly or crisp.
- Brown sugar- This adds a nice contrast in flavor and really helps to give a caramelized finish to the dish.
- Smoked paprika- If you don’t have smoked paprika, regular paprika will work fine. Smoked, however, adds in a lot of wonderful flavors and almost makes these jalapenos taste grilled over an open flame.
- Jalapenos- You’ll need whole and fresh jalapenos that have been sliced in half vertically and then had the seeds and membranes removed.
- Cream cheese- This is the base of the creamy filling for these appetizers. You can use reduced fat cream cheese if you want them to be slightly healthier.
- Blue cheese- A great cheese option that is simple and flavorful. You can also see other suggested cheeses below in the substitutions and variations section.
- Garlic- This is a great seasoning and ingredient for anything and it truly pairs well here in this jalapeno filling too!
How To Make Stuffed Jalapenos With Bacon
- This recipe starts with the bacon! Take your favorite kind of bacon and coat it in a brown sugar/paprika mixture. This will give the bacon a sweet caramelized flavor that is an excellent match for the spicy peppers!
- Carefully halve your jalapeno peppers and remove the seeds and the ribs. You can keep the stems on for presentation if you prefer.
- In a small bowl mix the cream cheese, blue cheese, and garlic until blended. Fill each pepper with the cheese mixture.
- Carefully wrap a slice of bacon around each pepper.
- Place the peppers on a foil-lined baking sheet and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until bacon is crispy.
- Grilling tip. I baked these stuffed jalapeños; however, they would work well on the grill. Be sure to grease your grill grates so that the sweetened bacon does not stick.
- Safety warning. I highly advise wearing gloves when handling the peppers. I have rubbed my eyes after touching jalapeños, and I’m here to tell you it’s not fun-it burns!
- Want less spice? Be sure to remove all the seeds and the membranes. Most of the heat comes from those seeds.
- How To Stuff Jalapenos. Honestly, the best way to stuff jalapenos is to place your filling in a zip-top bag. Then carefully pipe your mixture into the cavity of each pepper.
Substitutions & Variations
- While I find blue cheese, jalapeños, and bacon work nicely together, I realize blue cheese is not for everyone. Monterey Jack cheese, feta, goat cheese, or mozzarella would melt beautifully with the cream cheese.
- To change things up, try these Taki topped stuffed jalapenos.
What Goes Into A Stuffed Jalapeno?
The short answer is ANYTHING! You could stuff them with veggies, chicken, chorizo, Italian sausage, pepperoni (try these Pizza Poppers), bacon, ground beef, and an array of cheeses!
The only thing I would suggest is that no matter what you put into the jalapeno, make sure you also had cream cheese.
Can I Freeze Stuffed Jalapenos?
Yes, you can freeze stuffed jalapenos. Prepare the peppers per the recipe but do not prepare the bacon. Freeze the peppers on a baking sheet for about 15 minutes. Then place the peppers in an airtight container.
When ready, allow the peppers to come to room temperature. Prepare the bacon, then proceed with the recipe. Peppers may be frozen for up to 3 months.
These stuffed jalapeno peppers are a great recipe for game day! They are always the first thing to disappear! I guarantee you are going to love the sweet and spicy taste of these stuffed jalapeno peppers!
If you need more bacon-wrapped recipes, try these recipes: Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs, Bacon Wrapped Shrimp Bacon Wrapped Roasted Potatoes, Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf Dinner, or to get real fancy, this Bacon Wrapped Eye of Round Roast.
- 12 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 6 large jalapenos
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 oz crumbled blue cheese
- 2 cloves garlic
- Preheat the oven to 350. Place a sheet of foil on a baking sheet and spray with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Combine brown sugar and paprika in a small bowl. Rub mixture over each slice of bacon.
- With covered hands, cut each jalapeno in half. Scrape out seeds and membranes.
- Combine cheeses and garlic in a bowl. Spoon cheese mixture into each jalapeno cavity. Wrap one slice of bacon around each jalapeno.
- Arrange peppers on a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minute or until bacon is crispy.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 157Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 34mgSodium 308mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 0gSugar 5gProtein 6g