This creamy chicken cordon bleu casserole taste so rich and delicious! This easy pasta dish has all the classic chicken cordon bleu flavors but made quickly and simply! This pasta dish is such a great family meal!
Lately, I have been struggling to come up with meal ideas for my family. I am lacking in inspiration. When this happens, I tend to turn to classic recipes. One of my favorite things to do is take a classic recipe and make it family-friendly and easy!
This exactly what I did with this chicken casserole. This recipe has all the flavors of a classic chicken Cordon Bleu but it is made in a family-friendly casserole that everyone will love!
What Is Chicken Cordon Bleu?
Traditionally, chicken cordon bleu is thinly pounded chicken breast wrapped around a slice of ham and Swiss cheese. The chicken is rolled, breaded, and baked or fried.
How Do I Make This Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole Recipe?
STEP ONE – Prepare pasta according to package directions.
STEP TWO – Melt butter in a large stockpot or a Dutch oven, whisk in all-purpose flour until mixture is combined and thickened. Add garlic. Whisk in chicken broth and evaporated milk and a little Dijon mustard until smooth.
STEP THREE – Add shredded Swiss cheese to the milk mixture. Stir in shredded chicken and diced ham.
STEP FOUR – Combine the pasta and sauce and pour into a greased casserole dish.
STEP FIVE – In a small bowl, combine Panko bread crumbs, bread crumbs, and melted butter. Sprinkle mixture over the casserole and then bake for 15-20 or until topping is golden and the cheese is bubbly.
Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe Tips
- I used Rotini pasta in this recipe, but you could also use fusilli, shells, elbow macaroni, egg noodles, or any other pasta that is good for capturing the sauce.
- To keep things light, I used reduced-fat evaporated milk and chicken broth for the white sauce. Chicken broth adds flavor and the evaporated milk will give the sauce that creamy texture all while keeping calories and fat down.
- Swiss cheese is always so creamy and adds a lovely tang to any recipe. Swiss cheese is lower in fat than other cheeses. I used both Guggisberg Baby Swiss and Pearl Valley Mild Swiss for this recipe. Both are made in Ohio (Ohio is the top Swiss producing state). I also added Monterey Jack cheese for it’s mild, neutral taste.
- Rotisserie chicken makes preparing this dish a breeze! Any leftover cooked chicken will do!
- Deli ham is fine for this recipe as is any cubed leftover ham.
- Panko (Japanese) bread crumbs can usually be found with traditional bread crumbs in your local grocery store.
- This recipe packs a dairy punch, Milk, cheese and yogurt contain nine essential nutrients. like calcium, vitamin D, and potassium.
Can I Freeze This Casserole?
This casserole is freezer-friendly! Make sure to cool the casserole completely, then wrap tightly with aluminum foil. This casserole will be good for up to 1 month.
What Can I Serve With This Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole?
If you love Chicken Cordon Bleu, then you will have to try this easy dinner idea! This recipe was prepared in honor of National Farmer’s Day (October 12) which is a day to celebrate America’s famers, who are proud to work hard to help feed the world. Even during these challenging times, Ohio and West Virginia dairy farmers remain committed to producing safe, nutritious dairy foods, including milk, cheese and yogurt, that provide essential nutrients to help nourish our families and communities.
- 1 lb rotini pasta
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 12 oz can reduced-fat evaporated milk
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup diced deli ham
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup Panko
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- Melt butter in a large stockpot or a Dutch oven, whisk in all-purpose flour until mixture is combined and thickened. Add garlic. Whisk in chicken broth and evaporated milk and a little Dijon mustard until smooth.
- Add shredded Swiss cheese and jack cheese to the milk mixture, whisking until the cheese has melted. Stir in shredded chicken, diced ham.
- Combine the pasta and sauce and pour into a greased casserole dish
- In a small bowl, combine Panko bread crumbs, bread crumbs, and melted butter. Sprinkle mixture over the casserole and then bake for 15-20 minutes or until topping is golden and the cheese is bubbly.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 687Total Fat 35gSaturated Fat 19gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 172mgSodium 1163mgCarbohydrates 41gFiber 2gSugar 8gProtein 52g