Who’s says monkey bread can only be sweet? This savory monkey bread recipe takes two popular sandwich fillings and serves them up with a simple honey mustard dipping sauce!
I often have cans of biscuits in my refrigerator, but I don’t think I ever use them as they were intended to be used; as biscuits. Instead, I keep biscuits handy for things like Lemon Sugar Biscuit Donuts, Chicken Bundles, Easy Pizza Ring, or as a topping for this Cheeseburger Pot Pie. As you can see, biscuits are quite versatile.
Of course, everyone knows biscuits are also the best way to make monkey bread! We usually see sweet monkey bread recipes like this Lemon Monkey Bread or these Monkey Bread Muffins, but you might be surprised to discover that a savory monkey bread recipe works remarkably well and is a nice change from its sugary counterparts!
WHERE IS THE HAM AND SWISS SAVORY MONKEY BREAD RECIPE?
If you’d rather skip cooking tips, suggestions, handy substitutions, related recipe ideas – and get straight to the Savory Monkey Bread recipe at the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
How To Make This Ham and Swiss Savory Monkey Bread Recipe
You are not going to believe how easy this recipe is to make and you are really going to love it! This recipe is simple and way more fun than an ordinary ham and cheese.
I used two cans of buttermilk biscuits and cut each biscuit into quarters. I like using kitchen scissors for this chore, it goes much quicker than using a knife. The biscuits are tossed with olive oil, grated Parmesan cheese, and Italian herb seasoning.
1/3 of the biscuits are arranged in the bottom of a bundt or tube pan and then topped with chopped deli ham and shredded swiss cheese. The layers are repeated, ending with swiss cheese. This savory monkey bread is baked for about 35-40 minutes.
I served this savory monkey bread with a mustard dip which is made with mayo, Dijon mustard, honey and salt. This monkey bread recipe makes a great meal (serve it up with a simple salad), snack, or appetizer! And just like Farmer’s Breakfast Casserole or these Savory Waffles, it’s a great way to use up leftover ham! I don’t think you can go wrong with this recipe!
- 2 cans large buttermilk biscuits (15.3 oz)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 cups diced cooked ham
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1-teaspoon coarse grain mustard
- 1-teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a tube pan or a Bundt pan with non-stick spray and set aside. Cut biscuits into quarters. Toss biscuits with olive oil, Parmesan cheese, and Italian seasoning. Arrange 1/3 of the biscuit mixture on the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle half of the ham and ½ cup of the cheese over the biscuits. Repeat process ending with remaining ½ cup Swiss cheese.
- Bake monkey bread for 35-40 minutes or until golden. Allow bread to rest for a few minutes before turning out onto a serving plate.
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a bowl and whisk until combined.
- With the exception of the ham, Kroger products were used for this recipe.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 199 Total Fat 15g Saturated Fat 4g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 10g Cholesterol 32mg Sodium 589mg Carbohydrates 6g Fiber 0g Sugar 1g Protein 10g