These mini monkey bread muffins come together quickly!
Cinnamon sugar pieces filled with a caramel milky Way bite inside!
These unique little sweets are a perfect treat when you want something delicious and chocolaty. Packed with a little candy inside and surrounded by deliciously cooked carbs and sugar, what’s not to love? You’re going to fall head over heels for these hidden surprise mini muffins. This mini monkey bread recipe is super easy to make but always fun to bake up and share with friends and family.
Pull Apart Monkey Bread Muffins
These mini muffins start with a simple and easy to find canned biscuit dough. Then they are rolled in lots of cinnamon and sugar to coat them well. Each little muffin has a sweet little caramel surprise hidden in the middle-Milky Way Bites! So once baked these muffins are a combination of cinnamon, sweetness, and chocolatey goodness. The melted chocolate and caramel tasting centers are a great pairing for the cooked biscuits that surround it.
- Canned buttermilk biscuits
- Granulated sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- Brown sugar
- Bite-sized Milky Way candies
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
How to Make Milky Way Mini Monkey Bread Muffins
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners and then set it aside.
In a small saucepan on the stove, combine your brown sugar and butter. Cook over low heat until the sugar is dissolved. Stir often.
In a bowl or in a zip-top bag, combine the granulated sugar and cinnamon.
Separate your canned biscuits and cut each one into quarter-sized pieces using a knife or kitchen shears.
Roll each quarter into a ball.
Coat the dough balls in your cinnamon-sugar mixture.
Spread a teaspoon of the brown sugar butter mixture into the bottom of each paper liner.
Top with three balls of cinnamon-covered dough.
Press a chocolate Milky Ways bit into the center and then top with 3 more balls of dough.
Pinch the top together so that the chocolate is well covered.
Spoon the remaining butter mixture over the top of each mini monkey bread muffin.
Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve warm and enjoy!
- You can use a full size of king size Milk Way bar that has been chopped up into 1 inch sized pieces instead of using the mini candy bars. This is great if you dont have enough mini bars on hand to complete the recipe.
Can I use a different candy?
Yes, other soft chocolate candies like Rolos would work well in this recipe. you can even use different flavored Milk ways bars for a better variety. Filling your mini muffins with leftover chocolate Halloween candies can make them a lot of fun and turn them into a guessing game where you don’t know what you’ll get until you discover the center.
How long are Milk Way mini muffins good for?
These monkey bread muffins can last about 3 or 4 days if kept stored in an airtight container or Ziploc bag in the fridge. While you can kep them stored at room temperature, keeping them stored in the fridge is best. Then when you want to eat one, simply take it out of the container or bag and place it on a plate. Microwave for about 30 seconds until heated through and enjoy!
Can I make monkey bread muffins in advance?
Yes, you can prepare these mini monkey bread muffins and then cover them in plastic wrap just before baking and instead of cooking them, place them in the fridge overnight or for a few hours. Then when you’re ready to cook the muffins, simply place them on the counter, remove the plastic wrap off of the top of the pan and preheat your oven. Bake for the amount of time speicified and at the temperature indicated by the recipe card. No additional steps should be neccessary.
If you enjoyed these sweet little monkey bread muffins, then you should check out my other great recipes that are sure to delight you just as much (if not more!)
Here are some more delicious monkey bread recipes to try soon:
- Bacon and Eggs Monkey Bread Muffins
- Ham and Swiss Savory Monkey Bread Recipe
- Lemon Monkey Bread
- Caramel Apple Monkey Bread Muffins
- 3 cans buttermilk biscuits 7.5oz each
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 18 bite sized Milky Way candies
- Preheat oven to 350. Line muffin pans with liners and set aside.
- In a small saucepan combine brown sugar and butter. Cook over low heat until sugar dissolves stirring often.
- In a bowl or a zip top bag, combine sugar and cinnamon.
- Separate biscuits. Using kitchen shears, cut each biscuit into quarts. Roll each quarter into balls. Coat biscuits in sugar mixture.
- Spread a teaspoon of butter mixture over bottom of each liner. Top with 3 rolls of dough. Press chocolate into the center and top with 3 more balls of dough, pinch the top together so that the chocolate is covered. Spoon remaining butter over each mini monkey bread muffin.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Serving Size1 muffin
Amount Per Serving Calories 216Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 15mgSodium 134mgCarbohydrates 32gFiber 1gSugar 25gProtein 1g