There are pumpkin rolls, and then there is THIS pumpkin roll recipe! This cake has a soft pumpkin flavored sponge cake that wraps around the creamiest coconut filling. You will never want another pumpkin roll recipe again!
When I was a young bride, I spent lots of time and effort trying to make my husband’s favorite foods. He told me early on that he didn’t like spinach, so I avoided all foods with spinach. He didn’t like things too spicy, so I always kept the heat in check. He loved a good steak, so I spent time researching how to make the perfect steak. I catered to his tastes because I loved him.
Then kids came along. I found myself switching my focus from my husband to my three little foodies. I never served anything spicy or with cheese (my daughter is not a cheese eater, strange right?). I only served the basic vegetables; broccoli, carrots, and green beans because that’s what the kids preferred and we ate lots of pasta because it was their favorite.
Eventually, I got tired of the “catering business.” I decided my tastes were important too. Brussels sprouts were served instead of green beans. Spicy Buffalo Chicken Cobbler was dished up instead of a tamer dinner item . Cheesy pasta was on the menu more often than pasta with red sauce on the side. In summation, I took charge of dinner.
Dessert is different. I am happy to oblige the tastes of my family, largely because their tastes mirror my preferences. When my family asks if I can make a pumpkin roll because it’s their favorite dessert, I say give me until the end of the day! Pumpkin roll is one of my all time favorite treats too!
I had to break from tradition with this recipe. The pumpkin cake is pretty standard, but the filling is better! I’m not a huge fan of frostings and fillings made with cream cheese. That is why this recipe has toasted coconut buttercream filling instead! Coconut and pumpkin work amazingly well together. The toasted coconut’s nutty tastefully compliments the spiced cake. The tender cake and creamy filling is one delightful mouthful!
The Best Pumpkin Roll Recipe
Soft pumpkin cake rolled around the creamiest coconut filling!
- 5 eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2/3 cup cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoon melted butter
- powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 tablespoon of heavy cream
- 1 cup toasted coconut
- pinch of salt
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375. Spray a jelly roll pan with nonstick spray. Top pan with parchment paper and spray paper with nonstick spray. Set pan aside.
- In a bowl, whisk egg yolks until thick and golden in color. Gradually add in 1/3 cup of sugar, pumpkin, and cinnamon.
- In the bowl of a mixer, beat egg whites with the whisk attachment until semi-soft peaks begin to form. Gradually whisk in 1/3 cup of the remaining sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks finally form. Remove and carefully fold in yolk mixture.
- Combine dry ingredients. Fold dry ingredients, followed by melted butter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake cake for 12 minutes or until cake gently springs back when touched. After removing cake from the oven, and immediately sprinkle with powdered sugar. Carefully turn cake out onto a clean towel that has been dusted with powdered sugar. Remove parchment paper. Roll cake with towel, starting with short end. Let cake cool completely.
- While cake is cooling prepare the filling. In the bowl of a mixer cream butter until light and fluffy. Slowly beat in powdered sugar one cup at a time. Add extract and heavy cream and salt. Mix just until buttercream is smooth. You may need to add in more liquid if buttercream is not smooth and creamy enough to spread. Fold in coconut. Slowly unroll cake. Spread buttercream over the entire cake. Carefully reroll cake and place on a serving plate, seam side down. Trim ends if desired.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.
- To toast coconut, arrange coconut in an even layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes in a 300 degree oven, stirring every 5 minutes to prevent burning.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 415kcal Calories from fat 205|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 23g||35%|
|Saturated Fat 14g||70%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
This cake was served on Rookwood Pottery’s Wareham Collection. This handmade pottery is part of a long line of creative and prestigious ceramics. Rookwood Pottery was founded in 1880; its hand crafted tiles and pottery have been setting the standard for generations.