This red velvet cake roll is festive and fun! A chocolate cake roll with a vibrant color that will brighten any dessert table! The moist chocolate cake is rolled around a Chambord flavored filling that is sweet and delicious! This cake will impress!
Cake rolls are one of the most favorite things to make! They are very easy to make (although a few steps take some practice), they don’t take long to bake, the flavor combinations are endless, and they have the perfect cake to frosting ratio!
What Is A Cake Roll?
A cake roll, which is often referred to as a Swiss roll, or a jelly roll is a sponge cake that is rolled around whipped cream, jelly, or icing. It is baked in a jelly roll pan. A jelly–roll pan comes in two sizes; 15 ½ by 10 ½ inches or 18 by 12 (which is also a half-sheet pan). The jelly roll pan has 1-inch-high sides which help set up your cake roll but this pan can also be used as a cookie sheet in a pinch. It’s also a terrific roasting pan for veggies or sheet pan meals.
What Do I Need For The Red Velvet Cake Roll?
- Eggs – The eggs will be separated. I always use extra-large eggs in my baking.
- Vanilla extract
- Cake flour – Cake flour is a finely milled flour with low protein which will help you bake the most tender cake.
- Cocoa powder
- Baking soda
- Powdered sugar
- Chambord raspberry liqueur
- Powdered sugar and fresh raspberries for garnish
- A jelly roll pan (15 1/2 by 10 1/2)
- Parchment paper
- A kitchen towel for rolling
How To Make A Red Velvet Cake Roll
STEP ONE – Preheat oven to 375. Spray a jelly roll pan with nonstick spray. Top pan with parchment paper and spray paper with nonstick spray. Set pan aside.
STEP TWO – In a bowl, whisk egg yolks until thick and golden in color. Gradually add in 1/3 cup of sugar and vanilla extract. Whisk in the red food coloring.
STEP THREE – In the bowl of a mixer, beat egg whites with the whisk attachment until semi-soft peaks begin to form. Gradually whisk in 1/3 cup of the remaining sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks finally form. Remove and carefully fold in the yolk mixture.
STEP FOUR – Combine dry ingredients. Fold dry ingredients, followed by the melted butter.
STEP FIVE – Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake cake for 12 minutes or until cake gently springs back when touched. After removing the cake from the oven, and immediately sprinkle with powdered sugar. Carefully turn the cake out onto a clean towel that has been dusted with powdered sugar. Remove parchment paper. Roll cake with a towel, starting with the short end. Let the cake cool completely.
STEP SIX – For the filling, beat butter until creamy. Slowly beat in powdered sugar 1 cup at a time. Add Chambord and enough milk to get a creamy consistency. Spread filling over the inside of the cake. Reroll the cake carefully and place seam side down on a serving tray. Garnish with powdered sugar, whipped cream, and raspberries if desired.
Red Velvet Cake Roll Do’s And Dont’s
DO spray your jelly roll pan with parchment paper and then spray your paper with non-stick spray before adding the batter.
DON’T overbeat your egg whites; otherwise, the cake will not be light and fluffy.
DO remove the cake from the pan as soon as it comes out of the oven, flip the cake onto a powdered sugar covered kitchen towel and carefully remove the parchment paper.
DO roll your cake in a powdered sugar covered towel immediately to prevent cracking. Allow your cake to cool completely before filling.
DO use salted butter for your buttercream, the salt balances out the sweetness from the sugar and liqueur
Can I Freeze This Cake Roll?
Yes, you can! To freeze your red velvet cake roll, wrap your cooled and filled cake in plastic wrap, then cover in foil. The cake can be frozen for up to 2 months.
To thaw the cake, allow the cake to come to thaw in the fridge before serving
Recipe Tips And Substitutions
If you want a more intense red color, try using red gel coloring instead of liquid red food coloring.
Cream cheese can be added to your buttercream in keeping with a more traditional red velvet cake. You can also add a little melted white chocolate to your buttercream.
Chambord is a raspberry liqueur, however, feel free to use Amaretto, Schnapps or other fruity liqueurs, raspberry extract may be used in place of the alcohol.
- 5 eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup cake flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoon melted butter
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- powdered sugar for dusting
- 1 ½ cups butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons Chambord raspberry liqueur
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Powdered sugar, whipped cream, and raspberries for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375. Spray a jelly roll pan with nonstick spray. Top pan with parchment paper and spray paper with nonstick spray. Set pan aside.
- In a bowl, whisk egg yolks until thick and golden in color. Gradually add in 1/3 cup of sugar, vanilla extract, and red food coloring.
- In the bowl of a mixer, beat egg whites with the whisk attachment until semi-soft peaks begin to form. Gradually whisk in 1/3 cup of the remaining sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks finally form. Remove and carefully fold in yolk mixture.
- Combine dry ingredients. Fold dry ingredients, followed by melted butter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake cake for 12 minutes or until cake gently springs back when touched. After removing the cake from the oven, and immediately sprinkle with powdered sugar. Carefully turn the cake out onto a clean towel that has been dusted with powdered sugar. Remove parchment paper. Roll cake with towel, starting with short end. Let the cake cool completely.
- To prepare the filling, beat the butter in a stand mixer until creamy. Slowly add powdered sugar one cup at a time. Add liqueur and milk until the mixture is creamy and spreadable.
- Unroll the cake, carefully spread the frosting over the cake. Slowly reroll the cake and place the cake on a platter, seam side down. Garnish and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 575Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 17gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 147mgSodium 387mgCarbohydrates 77gFiber 0gSugar 69gProtein 4g