These classically flavored red velvet chocolate chip muffins are made with lots of chocolate flavor! A simple treat to start off the morning!
What Is A Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Muffin?
A red velvet chocolate chip muffin is nothing more than a chocolate muffin that has been colored with red food coloring. The muffins are soft, tender, and have an extra fudgy taste that makes you feel like you are eating dessert instead of a breakfast item!
As far as the color goes, I used a whole small bottle of red food coloring. Feel free to play around with this, starting with less and adding more to suit your tastes.
Extra food coloring will not affect the flavor, however, the recipe requires so much because the cocoa powder is so intense, the color does not change that easily.
I have seen people color food naturally with beet juice, I cannot speak to this as I have never tried it. If you have experience with this, I would love to hear about it!
What You Need To Make Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Muffin Recipe
Cocoa powder– You will need Dutch-process cocoa powder for this recipe.
Flour – All-purpose flour is fine. You can swap out white whole wheat flour for all or some of the all-purpose flour.
Brown sugar – Light brown sugar is fine.
Buttermilk – This will help keep your muffins nice and moist. A good substitution for buttermilk is to place 1 tablespoon of lemon juice for vinegar in a measuring cup, top with milk. Let this rest for a few minutes.
Eggs – Large eggs
Red food coloring – Liquid food coloring is fine. You will use an entire bottle.
Butter – Unsalted and melted
Chocolate chips – Semi-sweet is fine. You can also use chocolate chunks, chopped chocolate, mint pieces or even white chocolate chips.
Muffin pan and cupcake wrappers – I used a 12 cup muffin pan, but you could easily make mini muffins.
How To Make These Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Muffin Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with muffin liners and set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder, brown sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, and food coloring.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir in melted butter. Stir the batter just until combined. It is important to avoid overmixing the batter!
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter between the muffin tins and bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool completely before serving.
Chocolate Chip Muffins With Butter
Yes, this batter is made with butter. It does have a fair amount of melted butter (1/2 cup) which, combined with the buttermilk should give the batter enough liquid to produce a fluffy, tender muffin. If you want to use vegetable oil, then use 1/3 a cup in place of the butter listed in the recipe.
If it’s more red velvet you want, check out: Red Velvet Flourless Cake, Red Velvet Cheesecake Gelato, Red Velvet Cheesecake Cake, Red Velvet Crepes, Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies, and Red Velvet Cookie Cups.
- ⅔ cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups flour
- 1 ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 bottle red food coloring
- ½ cup melted butter
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with muffin liners and set side.
- In a bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, and food coloring. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir in melted butter. Stir the batter just until combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter between the muffin tins and bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow the muffins to cool completely before serving.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 324Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 52mgSodium 387mgCarbohydrates 48gFiber 2gSugar 27gProtein 5g