Creamy smooth red velvet cheesecake gelato will make you melt! It’s rich, creamy, and perfect in every scoop.
You’re going to love this red velvet gelato. The Cream cheese makes this lovely dessert tangy and creamy; just like cheesecake and the Red velvet cake mix gives this cheesecake gelato recipe a chocolaty flavor and red color. Enjoy this red velvet cheesecake gelato with someone you love or enjoy it all to yourself. It’s so good!
This dessert would be especially great when served around Valentine’s day or Christmas thanks to the bright red hues but you can enjoy it all year long thanks to how simple it is to make.
Gelato vs Ice Cream
Gelato typically contains less fat than ice cream. It often doesn’t contain egg yolks like ice cream and it is usually churned at a slower speed so less air gets incorporated into the gelato, unlike its fluffy ice cream counterpart.
We made this homemade gelato with an ice cream maker to help do all of that churning for us. Gelato is served at a warmer temperature too, which keeps it soft and supple.
Ingredients you’ll need for Red Velvet Cheesecake Gelato:
- Granulated sugar
- Half and half
- Red Velvet Cake Mix
- Cream cheese
- Red food coloring *optional
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
How to Make Red Velvet Cheesecake Gelato
- Combine the sugar, half and half, and 2 cups of milk in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in the cake mix powder until well blended.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch with 1/2 cup of milk.
- Stir the mixture into the saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Cook for 2 minutes while stirring constantly.
- Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve. Repeat if necessary to make it nice and smooth. All of the lumps should be removed.
- Pour the mixture into a blender along with the softened cream cheese. Blend completely. Add in red food coloring if you are using it.
- Place into the fridge for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Process the mixture into an ice cream maker and follow according to the owner’s manual for your machine.
- Pour the mix into a freezer-safe container and freeze for at least 2 hours.
If you don’t have an ice cream maker you can still make this homemade gelato recipe! Just follow along with the recipe instructions as directed and instead of placing the mixture into an ice cream maker, pour it into your freezer-safe container and freeze. After about 20 minutes, whisk it very well and place it back into the freezer. Repeat the process until the mixture has thickened and resembles ice cream.
You don’t need a fancy ice cream storage container. I like to use my Calphalon bread pan for my gelato and homemade ice cream recipes. It helps to keep the ice cream nice and cold while remaining a perfectly convenient size for my freezer unit.
How long is red velvet gelato good for?
This homemade gelato should last up to a month when kept stored in an airtight container in the freezer. This is perfect because it gives you such a long time in which you can indulge and enjoy yourself. I do recommend letting the container sit on the counter for a few minutes to soften the gelato for scooping and serving though.
Is gelato healthier than ice cream?
Yes, gelato could be considered healthier than ice cream. This is because gelato has less sugar, fewer calories, and less fat than its ice cream counterparts. It’s also often made with higher quality ingredients as well.
Can I use a different boxed mix for a different flavor?
Yes, instead of using red velvet cake mix for this gelato you can try a different box of cake mix. this will give you a great taste experience that you’re sure to love!
Here are some more great red velvet recipes to enjoy soon:
- Red Velvet Cake Roll
- Red Velvet Brownies
- Red Velvet Cookie Cake
- Red Velvet Flourless Cake
- Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Red Velvet Cheesecake Pretzels Recipe
- Red Velvet Chocolate Steamer
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 2 1/2 cups milk, divided
- 3 tablespoons red velvet cake mix
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- red food coloring (optional)
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, half and half and 2 cups of milk over medium heat. Whisk in cake mix powder. In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and 1/2 cup milk. Stir cornstarch mixture into into half and half mixture and bring to a boil. Cook 2 minutes stirring constantly. Strain mixture over a fine sieve. Repeat if necessary. All lumps should be removed.
- Pour mixture into a blender along with softened cream cheese. Blend completely. Add food coloring if desired. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Process in an ice cream maker according to manufacturers directions. Pour into a freezer safe container and freeze for at least 2 hours.
Amount Per Serving Calories 212Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 37mgSodium 115mgCarbohydrates 24gFiber 0gSugar 19gProtein 4g