If you’ve never tried a Dutch baby, now is your chance! Pancakes and crepes collide in this easy dish.
Fresh raspberries and toasted hazelnuts turn this Dutch baby into dessert!
This Dutch baby is simple, sweet and tastes delicious enough to be called dessert. Dutch babies are a type of pancake, typically baked in a cast-iron skillet. They are an amalgamation of a pancake and a crepe. They are tender and golden like a pancake but not quite as thick and fluffy. Instead they are thin and a little dense, like a crepe.
Dutch babies are made with eggs, sugar, vanilla, flour and some form of dairy, i.e. milk or cream. For this particular recipe, I used heavy cream for the liquid, but milk or half and half would be fine. I found this to be the perfect way to add extra flavor without tacking on any extra calories (hurrah for enjoying my favorite flavors without compromising those New Year’s resolutions!). Fresh raspberries and toasted hazelnuts officially turn this Dutch baby into dessert! The sweet berries melt in your mouth and the rich tasting hazelnuts add a crunchy surprise.
- Vanilla extract
- Granulated sugar
- All-purpose flour
- Heavy cream
- Fresh raspberries
- Toasted hazelnuts
- Fresh raspberries
- Whipped cream
- Powdered sugar
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
How to Make Raspberry Hazelnut Dutch Baby
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add your hazelnuts. Toast for about 5-7 minutes or until nice and fragrant.
- Wrap the nuts in a towel and rub them together so that the skin comes off of the nuts. Remove the towel and then coarsely chop your nuts.
- In a bowl, mix together the eggs, vanilla, and sugar.
- Whisk in the flour and the cream until blended. A few lumps may remain, this is fine.
- Gently fold in the fresh raspberries.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place your cast iron skillet into the oven for 3 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and add in the butter. Let the butter melt.
- Add in the batter and bake in the oven for 18 minutes and then remove from oven.
- Sprinkle the nuts over the pancake and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until the edges are golden in color and the pancake has puffed up in the center.
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 6 oz fresh raspberries
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts coarsely chopped
- Garnish with raspberries, whipped cream and powdered sugar
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add hazelnuts and toast for 5-7 minutes or until fragrant. Wraps nuts in a towel and rub nuts together so that the out skin comes off of the nut. Remove from towel and coarsely chop.
- MIx eggs, vanilla and sugar in a bowl. Whisk in flour and cream until blended (a few lumps may remain). Gently fold in berries.
- Preheat oven to 400. Add 10 in cast iron skillet, heat for 3 minutes. remove, melt butter in hot skillet. Add batter, bake for 18 minutes, remove from oven. Sprinkle nuts over pancake and bake an additional 5 minutes or until edges are golden and pancake is puffed in the center.
Amount Per Serving Calories 435Total Fat 24gSaturated Fat 11gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 138mgSodium 75mgCarbohydrates 49gFiber 3gSugar 33gProtein 8g