Italian Sausage and Orzo give a flavorful spin to traditional Italian stuffed peppers!
We experienced our first serious winter storm in these here parts. Boston would laugh at our snowfall, but to us it was massive. It was big enough to incite panic all around the city. Schools were shut down all week, the food was flying off the shelves in the grocery stores, and there were lines at the gas pumps.
This is what we do around here. We have this fearful notion that the world will end when it snows. If you don’t have extra milk and bread, well then starvation is inevitable. If we were expecting a blizzard, then I could understand this reaction. However, 3-6 inches of snow is not quite a blizzard.
Without fail, my weekly shopping trip seems to fall right before a big snow storm. My cart is piled high with food, not because of the impending storm, but because we need to eat. When the cashier asks if I’m getting ready for the big storm, I feel as though I have to be sure to separate myself from the fatalists that are shopping out of panic. I don’t want to be lumped in with those people; I’m sensible, normal.
Sometimes I’m in the mood for One Pot Unstuffed Peppers or want to munch on Mini Grilled Stuffed Peppers, but usually, my family craves these brightly colored Italian Style Stuffed Peppers. These Italian stuffed peppers are such a delicious change from your typical stuffed pepper recipe. I love using yellow, red or orange peppers because the color is so fresh and vibrant. This recipe calls for Italian sausage in place of ground beef and orzo in place of rice. Prosciutto, mushrooms, fresh basil, and creamy mozzarella cheese, make these stuffed peppers not only filling but gratifying and tasty!
Stuffed Pepper Fan?
If you must stock up on bread and milk before the next storm, throw the ingredients for these Italian stuffed peppers into your cart as well. You can endure any storm if you are armed with this meal.
Italian Style Stuffed Peppers
An Italian twist on an old favorite recipe!
- 6 bell peppers
- 8 oz. orzo pasta
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 1/4 cup chopped prosciutto
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 14 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 4 oz cubed mozzarella
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- Cut tops off each pepper, remove membranes and seeds. Discard tops.
- Place peppers cut side down in a microwave safe plate. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 2 minutes. Let peppers cool.
- Prepare orzo according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet brown Italian sausage stirring until crumbled. Stir in chopped prosciutto and mushrooms and continue to cook until mushrooms have softened. Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, salt and pepper and cook until mixed and heated through.
- Remove sausage from heat and let cool for a few minutes before stirring in orzo, fresh basil and cubed mozzarella.
- Place peppers in a baking dish. Divide mixture evenly among each peppers. Sprinkle peppers with Parmesan cheese. Cover dish with foil and place peppers in a preheated 450 degree oven. Bake peppers for 20 minutes, remove foil and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Place peppers in a preheated 450 degree oven. Bake peppers for 20 minutes, remove foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes.