These grilled stuffed peppers are filled with cheese, bacon and kale.
They make for a fun appetizer or tasty side dish!
My family’s biggest guilty pleasure is watching Chopped. We love to watch all those talented chefs transform food from the impossible into gorgeously creative and cohesive dishes! That show always leaves me inspired and amazed.
By the end of the show, one of my kids always blurts out that they think I should be on Chopped. I am certainly humbled by this compliment and praise, but lord there is no way. My mind doesn’t work that quickly. I’d have to phone in a “life line” during every course. Or I worse, I’d stare blankly at all the ingredients and pray a vision comes to me.
When I was given the opportunity to create a recipe for the Sargento® Chopped at Home Contest, I panicked at first, but then I thought, “I totally have this”. For starters, I’m in my own kitchen, secondly, the ingredients given (Sargento Chef Blends 4 State Cheddar , Kale, Bacon, and oyster crackers) were all very familiar to me. It literally took only a few minutes for me to figure out exactly what to make!
For this challenge, I settled upon grilled mini stuffed peppers. Stuffed peppers are a favorite of mine and since I had success with stuffed jalapenos, this recipe seemed like a natural fit. These start with fresh and crisp mini peppers which are filled with wholesome kale, salty bacon and creamy, natural Sargento shredded cheese. A little oyster cracker topping added a nice, buttery coating for each little pepper. Grilling these stuffed peppers brought out the natural sweetness to the mini peppers and melted the cheese perfectly.
These mini stuffed peppers exceeded my expectation and made me wonder what other Chopped challenge I could take on! Home contest today, tv show tomorrow, right?
Notes about the recipe:
- If you don’t want to scoop your filling into your peppers, you can place the ingredients in a large zip top bag. Snip the corner and then pipe the filling into the peppers. The filling will be thick, however.
- The peppers will give a little pop when they hit the grill. Be sure to watch them carefully. You do not want the peppers too soft. You want them to retain a little “bite”.
Mini Grilled Stuffed Peppers
Sweet mini stuffed peppers loaded with cheese, bacon and kale and are grilled to tender perfection.
- 1 lb package sweet mini peppers
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup SargentoÂ® 4 State Cheddar Blend
- 1 cup chopped baby kale
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- 1 cup oyster crackers
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Spray your grill grates with non stick spray. Preheat grill over medium heat. Once grill is heated, reduce heat to low.
- Cut each mini pepper in half, scooping all the membranes and seeds.
- In a bowl, combine cream cheese, cheese blend, kale, garlic and bacon until completely mixed. Spoon or pipe a tablespoon of filling into each pepper half.
- Chop oyster cracker in a food processor until fine crumbs form. Combine cracker crumbs, Parmesan cheese and basil in a bowl.. Sprinkle cracker mixture over peppers.
- Place peppers on heated grill. Grill pepper for 5-8 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and melted. Peppers should be soft, but still have a little bite to them.
Available in 30 versatile varieties, unique blends and distinct cuts, Sargento Shredded Cheese is always cut from blocks of 100% real, natural cheese. For more inspiration, check out the Sargento Pinterest page Pinterest.com/sargentocheese/ or visit Sargento.com for more information. The Chopped at Home Challenge gives viewers a chance to create their best recipe using the selected basket ingredients, including Sargento Shredded Cheese, for a chance to win $10,000!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Sargento. The opinions and text are all mine.