This original recipe was brought to you by SPLENDA® Sweetener and Social Stars. #SplendaSweeties #Sweetsweeps
This kale salad is packed with goodness!
In one bowl you’ll find kale, baby bella mushrooms, toasted nuts, feta cheese and a fresh citrus vinaigrette!
I thought kale was just a fad, like the grapefruit diet. Much like grapefruit, I ignored kale. I continued to eat my favorite veggies like green beans and Brussels sprouts and thought I’d wait for the kale hoopla to die down. The thing is, it never died down. In fact, the frenzy grew. My friends and their kids were drinking kale smoothies and munching on kale chips all the time. When the nine year olds around me were loving kale, I thought it was time to give it a try.
So I did, I started with a smoothie and found it wasn’t that bad. I munched on kale chips and salads and gradually discovered that hey, I actually like kale. Every time I eat it I can’t help but feel super-you know, since kale is such a super food and all. My family is coming around as well. This kale salad was a bold step for our family. Serving a wilted salad to kids can be tricky, but with all the flavors in this salad, I felt confident I could win them all over.
This kale salad is a powerhouse of goodness. It has lots of kale, which at first looks like too much, but it cooks down quite a bit. I also added meaty baby bella mushrooms and earthy toasted walnuts. The crumbled feta cheese adds a hint of saltiness while the fresh, slightly sweet citrus vinaigrette livens up the entire salad. The vinaigrette is just as important as the kale in this salad. I used fresh lemons and orange juice that I sweetened with SPLENDA® Sweetener. I used this particular sweetener because it added just the right amount of sweet taste without added calories. SPENDA® Sweetener is wonderful for stirring into your coffee or even for baking up your favorite muffins. It is also versastile enough to use in savory dishes. For more ways to swap out sugar, please visit 365 Sweet Swaps.
Looks like I’ll be joining the kale movement. You know the saying, if you can’t beat ’em, join ’em.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 half a red onion, sliced
- 1 16 oz bag Kale greens
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 half a large orange, juiced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 lemon juiced ( about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon SPLENDAÂ® Sweetener
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 cup crumbled Feta cheese
- In a large saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic, cook for two minutes. Stir in onion. Cook an additional minute or until onions just begin to soften. Add kale (it will reduce quite a bit) orange zest and chicken broth. Cover and reduce heat to low; cook kale for 3 minutes. Add mushrooms. Keep kale covered but remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, toast walnuts in a small skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes or until fragrant. Remove from heat and set aside.
- When kale has finished cooking and mushrooms are tender, toss in walnuts, stir. Place kale on your serving plate. Sprinkle with crumbled feta cheese.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, orange juice, lemons juice, sweetener and salt. Drizzle over kale, toss and serve.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 364Total Fat 31gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 24gCholesterol 12mgSodium 389mgCarbohydrates 20gFiber 5gSugar 9gProtein 8g
Please visit www.splenda.com for product information, recipes, and health and wellness tips.