Chocolate cake with pockets of sweet cherry syrup is topped with cherry whipped cream and crunchy pistachios! This Spumoni poke cake is a simple crowd pleaser!
I have high expectations when it comes to my dining experiences. We don’t go out to eat often, but when we do I want the food I’m served to taste good! No, wait, not just good but exceptional. Especially when I actually find my way into an upscale restaurant. I know that is asking a lot and unfortunately, I’m often disappointed. This is what I get for being a foodie.
The same holds true for bakeries. Some bakeries make the most gorgeously elaborate cakes, pastries and cupcakes. All these extravagant baked goods make me want to swan dive into each one. Sadly, sometimes that much anticipated first bite leaves me feeling blue. How can something that looks so good taste so disappointingly average? This is when I am reminded of the KISS principle.
KISS or Keep It Simple Stupid. Simplicity is often best. Basic bread, easy chicken soup or even this poke coke are memorable because they are so easy. The ingredients are simple and the method is straightforward. I find I turn to recipes like these over and over again.
This spumoni poke recipe may seem fancy but I assure you it is easy! It is loosely based off of my spumoni cupcakes. These were such a hit, I knew a poke would be well received! A little background on spumoni. Spumoni is a molded Italian ice cream that is layered with fruits and nuts. The traditional flavors in this ice cream is chocolate, pistachios and cherries. How does this translate into a poke cake? Well let’s break it down.
The base is chocolate cake-that’s obvious. It is a simple boxed cake that is poked with holes after it has had the chance to cool. I then combined sweetened condensed milk and maraschino cherry juice and poured this sweet nectar over the cake so that each hole was filled with that tasty cherry juice. Since one can never have enough chocolate, I spread chocolate syrup over the top of the filled cake. The chocolate topped off each hole and puddled on top. After allowing the poke cake to sit, the chocolate seeped into the cake and maked the cake taste especially moist. The topping is a two ingredient wonder; Cool Whip and maraschino cherries. That is it! You will want to add some cherry juice for color and for additional sweetness. Adjust the amount of syrup to suite your own tastes. Sprinkle pistachio nuts on top and you have yourself a cake worthy of it’s Italian namesake!
Notes about the recipe:
- Be sure to allow the cake to cool slightly before poking holes. You do not want the cake to break up too much. I used the handle of a wooden spoon to make my holes. You could also use large skewers or even a fork.
- After filling the holes, be sure to allow the cake to cool COMPLETELY. This will give the liquid time to be absorbed by the cake . Also, placing whipped topping directly onto a warm cake will leave you with a very melted mess.
- Finally, I found the cake did best if I kept it in the refrigerator. It is also best if it is consumed within a day or two.
- 1 18.25 oz box Devil's Food Cake
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 water
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/3 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 1/3 cup chocolate syrup
- 1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- 2 tablespoon maraschino cherry juice
- 1 8 oz tub Cool Whip
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pistachios
- Prepare cake according to package directions, using a 9 x13 size pan. Remove from oven and allow cake to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Using the handle of a wooden spoon, gently poke holes into cake.
- In a small bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk and 1/2 cup maraschino cherry juice. Slowly pour mixture over surface of cake, filling up the holes as much as possible. Carefully spread chocolate syrup over cake. Allow cake to cool completely.
- Combine chopped cherries, cherry juice and whipped topping. Spread topping over cooled cake and sprinkle with chopped pistachios.
- Serve immediately. Refrigerate cake after serving.
Nutrition InformationYield 16 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 154Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 37mgSodium 66mgCarbohydrates 19gFiber 1gSugar 16gProtein 3g