Yes, yesterday was the 4th of July, but instead of making anything red, white and blue (ok, ok I made cherry pie, I couldn’t be unpatriotic!) I made spumoni cupcakes. See yesterday was my birthday. Because we are friends, I’ll be totally honest with you, I turned the big 40 35. These spumoni cupcakes were pretty birthday worthy, let me tell you!
My original plan was to make a cupcake version of an opera cream cake that a local bakery makes. Each year I insist on getting this opera cream cake for my birthday. It is true chocolate heaven. It’s a Genoise cake layered and filled with the most luscious opera cream filling. It’s like the candy but so much creamier. The cake is topped with a thick, rich, chocolate glaze, big chocolate shavings cling to the sides and white chocolate roses crown the top. I mean really, is there anything more divine? Well my Genoise cupcakes did not have the right texture, they were basically chocolate rubber and the filling I attempted looked vaguely like lumpy Elmer’s glue. Uh, can you guess what happened next? Yep, I gave them all the ole heave-ho and never looked back.
Enter spumoni cupcakes. I was inspired by the spumoni ice cream my husband had on vacation. Now that I’m an adult, I’m not crazy about maraschino cherries, but there is something so visually appealing about those bright, red cherries combined with chocolate and pistachios! So pretty. And tasty too! For these spumoni cupcakes I combined chocolate cake batter and pistachio cake batter in each cupcake wrapper. The bonus was, the recipe yielded more cupcakes! To my buttercream I added maraschino cherry juice. The juice alone did not give me the shade of pink I wanted, so I added gel food coloring. I was supremely happy with the end result! Tasted just like spumoni ice cream! Garnish with cherries, pistachios, chocolate shavings or all three! You will be loving the cupcakes!!! Spumoni will be your new favorite flavor, I promise!
Thanks for visiting! Come back soon!
I found these yummy spumoni treats on Pinterest, check them out!
Spumoni Cookies from With Sprinkles on Top
Spumoni Ice Cream Bombe from The Bartolini Kitchens
Spumoni Cake from Terri’s Table
- 1 18.5 box Devils Food Cake
- 1 5.9 box chocolate pudding
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup oil
- 1/2 cup warm water
- Pistachio Cake
- 1 18.5 box white cake + ingredients to complete cake
- 1 3.4 oz box pistachio pudding
- Cherry Buttercream
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup shortening
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 t vanilla
- 1/4 cup Maraschino Cherry juice
- 2/3 cup water, milk, or heavy cream.
- Red gel coloring
- For the chocolate cake, in a large bowl, combine cake mix and pudding. Add sour cream, oil, water and eggs. Mix well. For the pistachio cake, combine cake mix, pistachio pudding in another bowl and add in water, eggs, and oil according to cake mix directions. Line cupcake pans with cupcake liners. Using a cookie scoop, scoop batter from each bowl into each cupcake cup. Bake at 350 for about 18-20 minutes. Remove to cooling rack.
- For the frosting
- In a stand mixer, cream together butter and shortening until very smooth. Slowly add in powdered sugar one cup at a time. Add salt and vanilla. Slowly add in cherry juice liquid one tablespoon at at a time until buttercream begins to develop a speadable consistency. Add in enough water (or milk) until desired piping or speading consitency is achieved. Add in food gel and mix until you have the right color.
- Pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes. Top with shaved chocolote, shelled pistachios and Marashino Cherries!
Makes 36 cupcakes
Nutrition InformationYield 36 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 486 Total Fat 27g Saturated Fat 9g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 16g Cholesterol 50mg Sodium 234mg Carbohydrates 59g Fiber 0g Sugar 47g Protein 4g