Shrimp and potatoes are lightly grilled in this easy Po Boy Potato salad!
*I am proud to be a brand ambassador for Mazola Corn Oil via One2One Network. This original recipe and all opinions are my own.*
Last summer, the bottom of our 11-year-old grill fell out. It was the best day ever! I had wanted a new grill but my ever-practical husband refused to buy a new one while our old one still worked. The day we kicked that old grill to the curb, I raced to the hardware store to buy a shiny new grill. I instantly found myself in front of the most expensive model: a gleaming and large grill with 6 burners. It had two gas burners on the outside, too. It was so fancy that even the knobs were impressive. Well, we didn’t get that grill—we settled for a model a few notches below.
Although I hate to admit it, our grill might be just a tad too fancy for us. A few weeks ago I was all set to grill up the shrimp for this easy Po’ Boy Potato Salad, but the it wouldn’t light. We had just filled up the tank, but I knew it was possible that I left the valve open (I have been known to do really stupid things like that). I got a new tank and the grill still wouldn’t light. We searched and researched. We scratched our heads and puzzled with this puzzler. I was about to dial the number for the manufacturer when I noticed a small button in the shape of a battery. Can you see where I’m going with this? Two AA batteries later, our grill was hot and ready to do its job. I learned a valuable lesson: sometimes simplicity is best…except when we are talking potato salad!
This Po’ Boy Potato Salad is outrageously good! A perfect summer food. The potatoes are parboiled, and then both the potatoes and the shrimp are tossed with seasoning and Mazola® Corn Oil. A recent study published in the Journal of Clinical Lipidology found that corn oil helps lower cholesterol more than extra virgin olive oil. It has more cholesterol-blocking plant sterols than other cooking oils, almost 4X more than olive oil!
Mazola Corn Oil also has a high smoke point, making it a great all-purpose cooking oil you can use for everything from sautéing to grilling to baking. With its neutral taste, it allows the flavors from the seasoning to take center stage.
I grilled both the potatoes and the shrimp for this salad. Grilling lends a nice smoky flavor. Plus, it keeps your kitchen cool during these warm months. After tossing the potatoes and the shrimp with a simple dressing, this side dish is ready to be served! I would almost call it a meal all on its own. I promise this Po’ Boy Potato Salad will be a hit all summer long.
To learn more about the benefits of cooking with corn oil, visit Mazola.com.
- 1 16 oz uncooked jumbo shrimp
- 3 tablespoons Mazola Corn Oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 3 lbs salad potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoon mayo
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Splash lemon juice
- Parsley for garnish
- Soak wooden skewers (8-10) in water for 30 minutes.
- Boil potatoes for 8 minutes. Remove from heat and drain. Meanwhile, remove shells from shrimp. Toss shrimp with 1 tablespoon oil and seasoning. Thread shrimp onto soaked skewers.
- Toss potatoes with 2 tablespoon of Mazola Corn Oil, salt and pepper. Grill potatoes for 4-6 minutes per side or until grill marks appear. Remove and let cool until easy to handle.
- Add skewered shrimp to the grill. Grill 2-3 minutes per side. Remove, let cool.
- Cut potatoes into bite sized pieces. Chop shrimp and add to potatoes along with tomatoes and lettuce.
- In a bowl, combine mayo, yogurt, mustard, salt and juice. Toss with potatoes. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition InformationYield 10 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 178 Total Fat 8g Saturated Fat 1g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 7g Cholesterol 98mg Sodium 946mg Carbohydrates 13g Fiber 3g Sugar 4g Protein 14g
More Recipes To Love:
Sweet Potato Salad with Avocado Pesto – Food, Faith, Fitness
Bacon-Ranch Red Potato Salad – Chelsea’s Messy Apron
Grilled Shrimp Scampi Po Boys – Diary of a Recipe Collector