This cauliflower salad recipe is the perfect low-carb option for those wanting to enjoy potato salad this summer.
Bring this tasty side dish to your next BBQ to share with everyone.
Potato salad is a traditional side dish served all summer long as a side dish to grilled foods and BBQs. It’s also served alongside many other dishes such as fried chicken and meatloaf.
There’s really no wrong time to serve up this creamy concoction, but it can be hard to enjoy if you’re trying to cut carbs. That’s where this cauliflower mock potato salad comes in.
What Is Cauliflower Potato Salad?
It’s everything you love about potato salad (only less starchy) by cutting out some of the carbs you can enjoy a slightly larger portion without the guilt or stress of hurting your diet.
Making potato salad with cauliflower isn’t hard and is actually quite tasty so try it soon and see why you can enjoy your diet and your favorite side dishes.
Ingredients for Cauliflower Potato Salad:
- Fresh Cauliflower
- Dijon Mustard
- Sundried Tomatoes
- Salt and Pepper
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
How to Make Cauliflower Salad
- Start by first boiling your eggs until hardboiled.
- Chop your fresh cauliflower into floret-sized pieces and then cook them in a pot of boiling water or in a steamer. This shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes because you want it to be soft but not overcooked. If you overcook them then they will become mashed.
- Chop your celery into small pieces along with the shallots and sundried tomatoes. Set them aside.
- Bring the eggs, cauliflower, celery, shallots, and sundried tomatoes together in a large mixing bowl.
- Toss together with the mayonnaise and dijon mustard. Add and adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Enjoy immediately or place in the fridge to chill before serving cold.
How to Make Make Potato Salad With an Instant Pot
If you find yourself the proud owner of an Instant Pot you can steam your cauliflower and boil your eggs perfectly with this one appliance, making your life a little easier because there are fewer dirty dishes involved.
To steam your cauliflower add 1 cup of water to your Instant Pot (or 1.5 cups for 8qt pressure cookers). Place cauliflower florets in a steamer basket or on a trivet and close the lid. Seal the vent and then click High Pressure for 1 minute. Release steam and then rinse the cauliflower under cold water to stop the cooking process.
For your eggs, add 1 or 1.5 cups of water as needed per the owner’s manual, and then add in as many eggs as you want on a trivet. Close the lid and seal the vent as directed. Select High Pressure for 5 minutes and wait for it to finish cooking. Allow to naturally release pressure for 5 minutes before removing and placing into a bowl of ice water for another 5 minutes. The eggshells should peel off perfectly every time, and if you made extra hardboiled eggs, you can always make some deviled eggs to serve alongside the potato salad too!
- Storage. This “potato” salad tastes even better the next day so make sure to keep your leftovers stored in an airtight container in the fridge so that you can get the best enjoyment out of this dish. It can safely last up to 4 days in the fridge.
- Freezing. Because of the ingredients used in this recipe (most important the mayo) I do NOT recommend freezing this potato salad. The textures and consistency once thawed will not be nearly as appetizing as when it was fresh.
- Garnishing. You can top your “potato” salad with some sliced boiled eggs, fresh parsley, or even sprinkle some paprika on top so that it looks a bit more like traditional potato salad.
Can I Meal Prep Cauliflower Salad?
Because of the several-day shelf life in the fridge, this is an excellent salad to meal prep. Just divide it into covered containers and enjoy it throughout the week. You can also keep it in a larger container and take it to a BBQ as a side dish.
Is Cauliflower Salad Keto Friendly?
This is a low-carb option for those who want to enjoy that dish without the extra amount of carbs. When enjoyed in moderation it can be a great side dish to enjoy while on a keto diet.
Is Cauliflower Potato Salad Vegan?
As written this recipe is not vegan-friendly. You can make this recipe vegan-friendly by using vegan mayonnaise and omitting the eggs or using a suitable egg replacement for replicating the texture.
If you liked this low carb side dish then you are going to LOVE these other low carb recipes I have to share!
- Cucumber Salad Recipe
- Dry Rub Cauliflower Tacos
- Cauliflower Gratin
- Detox Salad
- Jamaican Jerk Roasted Cauliflower
- 2 eggs
- 1 small head cauliflower
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 shallots
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- ½ cup sundried tomatoes
- salt & pepper
- parsley for garnish
- Boil eggs.
- Chop cauliflower into florets. Cook it in boiling water or in a steamer. This shouldn’t take more than five minutes as we need the cauliflower to be soft but not overcooked. Otherwise, it will end up mashed.
- Chop celery into small pieces, the same thing with the shallot and sundried tomatoes. Set aside.
- Bring cooked cauliflower, celery, shallots, boiled eggs, and sundried tomatoes into a big salad bowl. Toss with mayonnaise and dijon mustard. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Enjoy it immediately or refrigerate it until chill.