A luxuriously creamy chocolate steamer with a red velvet twist! You’re going to love this easy red velvet chocolate steamer recipe!
You’re going to love this red velvet chocolate steamer! It’s a warm, rich, thick, and delicious drink that is sure to keep you feeling warm in the colder winter months.
It also makes for a perfect Valentine’s Day drink if you’re looking for something special to make and share with your loved ones for a festive touch.
The red velvet comes from a bit of red velvet cake mix and chopped chocolate makes this steamer taste sinful and luxurious. Make a mug for someone you love or just for yourself, either way, you win.
What is a Steamer Drink?
A steamer is a drink made from warmed milk and flavoring. It’s a simple non-coffee recipe that you can find at coffee shops like Starbucks, but you can also just as easily make your own at home. Enjoy this caffeine-free drink recipe with a frothed top or with some whipped cream and it’s sure to be delicious either way.
Ingredients you’ll need for Red Velvet Chocolate Steamer:
- Red velvet cake mix
- Chocolate milk
- Chopped chocolate
- Red food coloring
- Whipped cream
- Shaved chocolate
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
How to Make Red Velvet Chocolate Steamer
- In a saucepan heat 1/2 cup of chocolate milk with the cake mix and whisk until the cake mix has dissolved.
- Whisk in the remaining milk and heat the mixture until the milk becomes warm.
- Whisk in the chocolate and then continue to stir until the chocolate has been incorporated and the milk has thickened.
- Continue to cook over low heat until the liquid is hot but not simmering.
- If desired, add in the red food coloring to achieve your desired hue.
- Top with some whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
- Serve immediately.
Is it safe to eat cake mix?
While normally I would advise against eating uncooked cake mix because of the raw flour, this drink actually cooks the flour as it warms the milk so it’s safe to consume.
What is red velvet flavor?
Red velvet’s flavor is hard to describe exactly but it’s a richer and tangy version of chocolate. Using chocolate for the base and given a tangy flavor upgrade with buttermilk, vinegar, or another acid we get a deeper flavor that works well with the chocolate. Then it’s given red food coloring to achieve its traditional hue. Thankfully we get the flavor and color from our cake mix so there’s not much needed to do on our part.
When to serve red velvet chocolate drink
This drink is perfect for any time of the year but would do best around the winter season holidays from Christmas to Valentine’s day. With the bright red color looking festive and cheery there’s no way you won’t want a few glasses worth over the colder months.
More tasty hot chocolate recipes to try soon
- How To Make A Charcuterie Board For Hot Chocolate
- White Russian White Hot Chocolate
- Reeses Peanut Butter Cup Hot Chocolate
- Coconut White Hot Chocolate Recipe
- Mexican Hot Chocolate
- Boozy Cinnamon Hot Chocolate Recipe
- 3 tablespoons red velvet cake mix
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate milk
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup chopped chocolate
- red food coloring if desired
- whipped cream and shaved chocolate for garnish
- In a saucepan heat a 1/2 cup chocolate milk and the cake mix, whisking until cake mix has dissolved. Whisk in remaining milk and heat just until milk becomes warm. Whisk in chopped chocolate and continue to stir until chocolate has been incorporated and milk has thickened. Continue to heat over low heat until mixture is hot but no simmering. Add food coloring if desired. Top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving Calories 465Total Fat 23gSaturated Fat 14gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 60mgSodium 263mgCarbohydrates 51gFiber 3gSugar 39gProtein 14g