A luxuriously creamy chocolate steamer with a red velvet twist!
I had no intentions of posting a Valentine’s day recipe this early. I was still coming off a gum-drop and candy cane high when I walked into my local grocery store and noticed what used to be Christmas had quickly been reduced to a clearance bin. The bin was pathetic; broken candy canes, ragged tinsel and generic holiday movies no one cares to watch were all crammed inside.
I think the saddest part of this whole display was this ragged box of misfit holiday items appeared to be swallowed up by the bright red cellophane chocolate boxes and chalky conversation hearts. It never stood a chance.
For one brief moment I thought I should probably buy at least one box of candy canes, but got side tracked by my favorite gummy SweetTarts and knew instantly that I was done with all things peppermint for another eleven months. I’m ready to embrace Valentine’s Day and all its pink and red glory. So long “ho-ho-ho,” hello “hubba-hubba-hubba.”
While a box of chocolates is a wonderful gift for the one you love, something warm and cozy is even better. This red velvet chocolate steamer is warm, richly thick and delicious. It starts simply enough with white milk and chocolate milk. The red velvet comes from a bit of red velvet cake mix and chopped chocolate makes this steamer taste sinful and luxurious. Make a mug for someone you love or just for yourself, either way you win.
Red velvet chocolate steamer with two kinds of milk, red velvet cake make and chopped chocolate for the richest steamed milk you've ever tasted!
- 3 tablespoons red velvet cake mix
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate milk
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup chopped chocolate
- red food coloring if desired
- whipped cream and shaved chocolate for garnish
- In a saucepan heat a 1/2 cup chocolate milk and the cake mix, whisking until cake mix has dissolved. Whisk in remaining milk and heat just until milk becomes warm. Whisk in chopped chocolate and continue to stir until chocolate has been incorporated and milk has thickened. Continue to heat over low heat until mixture is hot but no simmering. Add food coloring if desired. Top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving Calories 465Total Fat 23gSaturated Fat 14gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 60mgSodium 263mgCarbohydrates 51gFiber 3gSugar 39gProtein 14g