This cinnamon hot chocolate will keep you warm and cozy!
This adult-only chocolate drink is belly-warming and delicious!
Hot Chocolate Drink
Hot chocolate is THE drink of choice during the cold, winter months. Hot cocoa can be doctored up in many ways.
You can add cinnamon and a little chili powder for a Mexican Style Hot Chocolate, use white chocolate as with this White Hot Chocolate, add pureed pumpkin for a Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate, or even add a little color for this Red Velvet Chocolate Steamer.
But my FAVORITE way to enjoy hot chocolate is by stirring in booze.
What Is The Difference Between Hot Chocolate and Hot Cocoa?
I often use these two words interchangeably, but technically, there is a difference.
Hot cocoa is made from cocoa powder, sugar, and milk. It’s thinner than hot chocolate and isn’t as rich (but is much sweeter thanks to the added sugar)
You may be able to guess then that, hot chocolate is made with melted chocolate mixed with either hot water or milk. It is creamier, richer and a little thicker.
This homemade hot chocolate recipe is the best of both worlds since it is made with both cocoa powder AND chocolate!
I will be honest, I will probably still use the names interchangeably!
How To Make Boozy Cinnamon Hot Chocolate
In a small saucepan over medium heat combine sugar and cocoa powder, whisk in heavy cream and milk until combined and the sugar has melted. Add in about 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips and whisk until melted.
You can 100% substitute chopped chocolate in place of the chips and you can use more than the 1/4 cup stated here.
Want To Know How to Make Hot Chocolate Better? Easy…add booze. I used Rum Chata for a creamy consistency and it adds it’s own subtle cinnamon flavor to this cocoa. I also added Fireball which is a cinnamon-flavored whiskey.
You get a double dose of cinnamon after stirring in the alcohol, it is not subtle, however, because of the cream and the chocolate, the flavor isn’t overpowering either!
You can adjust the amount of alcohol to suit your taste and if you are filling frisky, you can stir in a little ground cinnamon as well!
Top each much off with whipped cream and enjoy!
Hot Chocolate Recipe Tips
- You can use either all whole milk or all heavy cream for this recipe
- Coffee creamer would make a great substitution for the dairy
- Omit the alcohol and add vanilla, rum, or coffee extract instead
- Bailey’s Irish Cream, Kahlua, Bourbon, and Spiced Rum would all be delicious substitutes
- This recipe can be started on the stovetop but placed in a slow cooker (on low). Double or triple the recipe as necessary, adding the alcohol just before serving.
This is belly-warming cocoa for sure, it is exactly what you need on those cold winter days!
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cocoa powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- 4 oz Rum Chata
- 2 oz Fireball Whiskey
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar and cocoa; whisk in the heavy cream and the milk. Sir until combined and sugar has dissolved.
- Stir in the chocolate until melted.
- Remove the cocoa from heat and whisk in the Rum Chata and the Fireball.
- Serve cocoa with whipped cream and cinnamon.