This sweet potato coffee cake has a sweet cinnamon layer and the perfect streusel topping! The cake is tender, light, and exactly what you cup of coffee needs!
When it comes to breakfast, I know I should eat things like overnight oats, this healthy farro breakfast bowl, or these baked eggs. My mind tells me these things are good for me, that they will sustain me and keep me full and satisfied.
But my HEART tells me it wants cheesecake stuffed french toast, lemon monkey bread, or pumpkin fritters. My heart wants sugar, sugar, sugar.
This is why I love coffee cake; its an acceptable form of dessert for breakfast.
What Is Coffee Cake
Coffee cake is cake that is meant to be flavored with or served with coffee. It can be a quick bake recipe or made to rise with yeast. Coffee cake can be covered in streusel, drizzled with glaze or both.
How To Make Sweet Potato Coffee Cake
Sweet potatoes may sound like an unlikely ingredient for breakfast food. But sweet potatoes work surprisingly well in baked goods (see these sweet potato donuts or this sweet potato pie). Sweet potatoes add moisture and a slightly sweet flavor much like canned pumpkin.
For this recipe, beat together vegetable oil, sugar, eggs, and pumpkin pie type spices (cinnamon and nutmeg). Add two medium baked and peeled sweet potatoes and beat until combined.
Mix in all-purpose flour just until smooth.
Place half of the batter into an 8-inch square baking pan. For the filling combine brown sugar and cinnamon. Place the filling over the batter top with the remaining batter and spread to fill in the edges.
For the streusel, combine granulated sugar, a pinch of salt, flour, more spice, and melted butter, toss to combine. Sprinkle the streusel over the coffee cake and bake for about 40 minutes. The coffee cake is ready when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Coffee Cake Tips
- I find the easiest way to prepare the sweet potatoes for this recipe is to microwave the potato for 3-4 minutes per side. The potato should be soft after cooking. Repeat with the second potato. Allow the potatoes to cool completely before peeling,
- Pumpkin can be used in place of the sweet potato
- Pumpkin pie spice can be used in place of the spices listed
- Whole grain flour can be used for all or part of the flour listed
- Nuts can be added to the filling and or the crumb topping
- Drizzle a simple homemade powdered sugar or cream cheese glaze over the topping if desired.
Does Coffee Cake Need To Be Refrigerated?
Coffee cake can be kept at room temperature for 2-3 days if covered completely. Your coffee cake will last longer in the fridge.
Cover the cake with plastic wrap and foil, store cake in the fridge for up to one week.
Can Coffee Cake Be Frozen?
Yes. Bake sure your coffee cake has cooled completely then cover the pan with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. Place the coffee cake in the freezer. The cake can remain frozen for up to 3 months. When ready, allow the cake to room temperature before serving.
More Coffee Cake Recipes
Sweet Potato Coffee Cake
Sweet potatoes make the best coffee cake! This cake is tender and sweet and has the best crumb topping!
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cooked and peeled sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2/3 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350. Grease an 8-inch square pan and set aside,
- In a bowl, mix together the oil, eggs, sugar, spices, sweet potatoes, vanilla, salt, and baking powder.
- Beat in flour until blended.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar and the cinnamon.
- Place half of the cake batter in the prepared pan. Top with brown sugar filling. Place the remaining batter over the filling, spreading to the edges.
- In a separate bowl, combine the sugar, salt, cinnamon, flour, and the melted butter, tossing to combine.
- Spread crumb mixture over the cake
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool slightly before serving.
Amount Per Serving Calories 240Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 31mgSodium 207mgCarbohydrates 40gFiber 1gSugar 25gProtein 3g
Don Schuldes says
This looks really good but I wonder if I can make the sweet potato in the micro or cook it in the stove.
Tanya Schroeder says
Yes you can use the microwave for sure!