Nothing beats a homemade sweet potato pie for the holidays!
Step aside, pumpkin, this sweet potato pie is the way to go!
What Does Sweet Potato Pie Taste Like?
My family ADORES pumpkin pie and they were so excited to eat this pie. I never told them it was a sweet potato pie and they weren’t able to tell the difference. Had I told them it was made with sweet potatoes, they would have turned up their noses and walked away. It really is amazing how sweet potato pie tastes EXACTLY like pumpkin pie, with a texture to match!
How Do You Make Sweet Potato Pie?
For the sweet potato filling, I baked 2 large sweet potatoes…you really want about 2 cups. I always make my sweet potatoes in the microwave; they really don’t take very long. I prick my potatoes all over with a fork and place them on a microwave-safe plate and cook them for 3 minutes or so per side. Allow them to cool completely and then peel and mash the potatoes.
I combined my mashed potatoes with a little maple syrup (the perfect way to flavor this pie), brown sugar, eggs, evaporated milk and all the seasonings you’d find in a traditional pumpkin pie. Bourbon can be used in place of the maple syrup if you’d like. You can also omit the syrup if you think it will make your pie too sweet. Once all your ingredients are combined, pour the filling into a pie shell (I used store-bought) and bake the pie for about an hour or until set.
Does A Sweet Potato Pie Need To Be Refrigerated?
Because this pie is made with eggs and evaporated milk, it will have to be refrigerated ONCE IT HAS BEEN cooled. The dairy products will bring out the mold if left out in the open for too long. Pie can stay in the fridge for 2-3 days, but I highly doubt it will even last that long!
- 1 pie crust dough (store-bought)
- 2 large sweet potatoes baked (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 eggs lightly
- 1 ½ cups evaporated milk
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- Prepare the pie crust according to package directions.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Prick two large sweet potatoes with a fork. Working with one at a time, microwave each potato for about 3 minutes per side until soft. Allow the potatoes to cool completely. When potatoes are ready, peel and mash the potatoes.
- In a mixer, combine the mashed potatoes, brown sugar, and syrup and beat until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time until combined. Stir in evaporated milk, cinnamon, salt, ginger, allspice and nutmeg until combined. Pour mixture into the prepared crust.
- Bake the pie for 50-60 minutes or until crust is golden and the center is set. Allow the pie to cool completely.