Soft, tender coffee cake with a ginger streusel and a simple maple glaze!
One of my favorite flavor combinations is maple and ginger. There is something about spicy ginger and sweet maple syrup that scream comfort food to me. They make me think of warm fleece pajama’s, toasty fires, pancakes and gingerbread all at once. I’ve combined these two flavors in these Pumpkin Ginger Cupcakes, as well as in these Molasses cookies and both times I was flooded with that warm fuzzy feeling.
I get the same feeling when I’m around warm, freshly baked bread. It just makes me feel like I’m a kid again. My mom would have packets and packets of yellow Fleischmann’s® Yeast in storage. She would use them up on the best loaves of bread I have ever tasted. To this day, my mom’s bread ranks as the all time greatest.
I love that food can evoke such strong feelings and memories. I can’t wait to hear what my own kids think of when they are parents themselves. What foods, flavors, aroma’s will they recall? What food stories will they share with their own kids?
I suspect that after trying this simple Maple Ginger Coffee cake, my kids will think of comfort food each time they are hit with the scent of maple and ginger. I found this recipe on the Fleischmann’s Bread World website. This recipe is perfect for beginners, the instruction are clear, concise and easy to follow. I found the “techniques” to be especially helpful. I even learned a new way to get my dough to rise (I will always have boiling water on hand). Fleischmann’s has a whole section of their website devoted to education so you don’t ever have to fear dough again.
I put my own twist on this recipe. The original coffee cake was simply made with a cinnamon streusel and a vanilla glaze. I decided to add ginger to the streusel mixture and maple syrup to the glaze to make this more of a holiday coffee cake. This coffee cake does take a bit of time to prepare, but you can easily make it the night before you plan on serving it. I haven’t tried a coffee cake that started with yeast before. I can see doing this more often! Fleischmann’s® RapidRise ® Yeast made this cake especially fluffy and tender.
With this coffee cake in the oven, your house will smell like warm gingerbread. Nothing says Christmas quite like warm gingerbread!
To learn more about bread baking or for easy to follow recipes, please visit Fleischmann’s at Breadworld.com.
For the cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 packet Fleischmann's® RapidRise Yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Mazola® Corn Oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon Spice Islands® Pure Vanilla Extract
For the streusel topping
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Spice Islands® Ground Saigon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup butter OR margarine
For the frosting
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1-2 tablespoons real maple syrup
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup of flour,dry yeast, sugar and salt. Stir until blended. Combine the water and the oil in a microwave safe bowl. Heat in the microwave in 15 second increments until very warm but not hot. Add to the flour mixture along with the egg and vanilla.
- Beat mixture for 2 minutes on medium speed scraping your bowl as necessary. Add remaining 1 cup of flour. Beat until blended.
- Using a spatula, spread dough into a greased 8 x 8 inch pan. Dough may not fill the corners perfectly. Cover with a towel and let the dough rise in a warm place until doubled in size. This could take 30- 45 mintues.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine flour, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and ginger. Cut in butter with two forks until mixture becomes crumbly, but butter is still a bit visible. Sprinkle steusel over cake and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 35-45 minutes until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- For the glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, milk and maple syrup until frosting is a drizzling consistency. Drizzle over cake.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 247 Total Fat 7g Saturated Fat 3g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 3g Cholesterol 26mg Sodium 129mg Carbohydrates 43g Fiber 1g Sugar 24g Protein 3g