This easy cinnamon coffee cake is great for special occasions or just because!
The cake is light and tender and the flavor is divine!
What Is Coffee Cake?
Coffee Cake is intended to be eaten with or made with coffee. Some coffee cakes are sponge-like in texture and are layered while others consist of one, moist, fluffy layer. Some cakes are denser and made with yeast and some are made with cake mixes. Some coffee cakes have icings while other cakes have a crumb topping. Coffee cakes have so many possibilities and can be served for any occasion.
How To Make Coffee Cake
This is not a yeast-based recipe, so it will bake up nice and fluffy! The recipe starts with creamed butter and cream cheese that are mixed together until creamy and smooth. Sugar, eggs and a flour mixture are mixed right in along with milk and vanilla extract. I also added a bag of cinnamon chips to my batter. If you cannot find cinnamon chips, chocolate chips, or butterscotch chips will work as well. The cake will get baked in a 9 x 13-inch pan.
While the tender, cinnamon chip infused cake is delicious, the crumb topping and the vanilla drizzle makes this worthy of truly special occasions! You can leave out the drizzle if you like, but the cinnamon crumb topping is a must!
How To Make Coffee Cake Topping
In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, pecans, and cinnamon. Cut in COLD butter. You must keep the butter cold; once you sprinkle the mixture over your cake the cold butter will help the crumb mixture from melting too much into your cake. You could absolutely make this nut free or add more cinnamon than what is listed here.
The soft cake, the crunchy topping, and the sweet glaze are just what every cup of coffee needs!!
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 10 oz package butterscotch chips
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 inch pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer, cream together the butter and the cream cheese until smooth. Beat in the sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add flour mixture to the batter alternating with the milk.
- Add the vanilla to the batter. Mix in the chips. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon and pecans. Cut in the cold butter into the flour until it resembles small pebbles. Sprinkle flour mixture over the cake and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool completely.
- To prepare the icing, whisk together the butter, powdered sugar and the milk, adding more milk if necessary to achieve a drizzling consistency.