Hummingbird Cake Recipe – this simple coffee cake recipe is inspired by the classic southern Humminbird Cake.
This cake is bound to be one of the best cakes you’ve ever had.
This old fashioned hummingbird cake recipe is one that everyone can enjoy. I especially love to serve it up with tea or on special occasions like Mothers Day. Made from scratch and with simple and basic ingredients we get a soft, moist, flavorfully sweet cake perfect for any occasion. The simple cream cheese frosting on top is also a wonderful combination of taste and creamy tangy goodness that pairs wonderfully with the cake flavors that we have going on in every bite.
If you want to treat mom; serve her this cake for breakfast! She couldn’t possibly say no. This hummingbird cake recipe is filled with the typical hummingbird cake ingredients, which include crushed pineapple, bananas, and pecans. Those two fruits make this coffee cake so incredibly moist; each bite melts in your mouth. What I loved about this cake is that not one flavor was too pronounced. You are treated to each ingredient equally. But what I love most about this recipe is how simple it is to prepare, mix all the ingredients in your mixer, pour, and bake.
What makes this hummingbird cake feel like a decadent dessert is the luscious cream cheese glaze that covers the cake. The glaze is silky, creamy and tangy enough to balance the sweet flavor of the cake. This hummingbird coffee cake is such a treat. I’m just going to throw it out there that if you make this cake for your mom; you’ll be her favorite.
For the cake, you will need:
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Crushed pineapple
- Chopped pecans
- Vegetable oil
For the Glaze, you will need:
- Cream cheese
- Powdered sugar
- Chopped pecans
How to Make Hummingbird Cake Recipe
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease the inside of a springform pan with nonstick cooking spray and then set it aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir in the eggs, buttermilk, and sugar until combined.
- Stir in the vanilla, mashed bananas, pineapple, and pecans.
- Add the oil and stir to combine.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake in the oven for 35-38 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool on a wire rack.
- Prepare the glaze by whisking together the cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, and milk until smooth.
- Slowly spread over the top of the cake.
- Sprinkle with chopped pecans if desired.
How long is hummingbird cake good for?
This cake can be kept stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days or stored for up to 1 week in the fridge. I recommend the fridge option because it gives you much longer to enjoy this incredible dessert!
What does a hummingbird cake taste like?
Why is my hummingbird cake dense?
It’s very important to make sure that you do not overmix this cake batter because if you do you will end up using the glutens to develop which leads to a tough and dense cake. If done properly, this cake can be quite light and fluffy.
For more incredible cake recipes check out these tasty suggestions:
- Mimosa Bundt Cake
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Strawberry Frosting
- Apple Pie Cupcakes with Brown Sugar Buttercream
- Easy Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- Almond Flour Carrot Cake
- Flourless Chocolate Mint Cake
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 mashed banana
- 1 cup crushed pineapple with juice
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
For the Glaze
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon softened butter
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a springform pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, the baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in eggs, buttermilk and sugar. Mix until combined. Stir in vanilla, the mashed bananas, pineapple, and pecans. Stir in oil.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake cake for 35-38 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool on a wire rack.
- To prepare the glaze, whisk together the cream cheese, butter powdered sugar and milk. Slowly spread glaze over the cake. Sprinkle with chopped pecans if desired.
- With exception of the pineapple, this cake was prepared using all Kroger brand products
Amount Per Serving Calories 482Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 21gCholesterol 53mgSodium 372mgCarbohydrates 54gFiber 4gSugar 29gProtein 8g