Hummingbird Cake Recipe – this simple coffee cake recipe is inspired by the classic southern Humminbird Cake. This cake is bound to be one of the best cakes you’ve ever had.
I’m sorry to do this to you again; but yes, I am bringing you another dessert recipe. Last week it was my Raspberry Amaretto Cheesecake Blondies and this Mimosa Bundt Cake. What can I say, I love my sweets. If I love my sweets, then maybe your mom loves sweets too.
Since we often treat our mothers to brunch on Mother’s Day, a coffee cake recipe seems appropriate. I have always wanted to try a hummingbird cake recipe, but I didn’t want to make an elaborately layered cake, which is how this coffee cake recipe came to be. Coffee cake is a less complicated dessert for breakfast.
Hummingbird Cake Recipe For Breakfast
If you want to treat mom; serve her this cake for breakfast! She couldn’t possibly say no. This hummingbird cake recipe is filled with the typical hummingbird cake ingredients, which include crushed pineapple, bananas, and pecans. Those two fruits make this coffee cake so incredibly moist; each bite melts in your mouth. What I loved about this cake is that not one flavor was too pronounced. You are treated to each ingredient equally. But what I love most about this recipe is how simple it is to prepare, mix all the ingredients in your mixer, pour, and bake.
What makes this hummingbird cake feel like a decadent dessert is the luscious cream cheese glaze that covers the cake. The glaze is silky, creamy and tangy enough to balance the sweet flavor of the cake. This hummingbird coffee cake is such a treat. I’m just going to throw it out there that if you make this cake for your mom; you’ll be her favorite.
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 mashed banana
- 1 cup crushed pineapple with juice
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- For the Glaze
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon softened butter
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a springform pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, the baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in eggs, buttermilk and sugar. Mix until combined. Stir in vanilla, the mashed bananas, pineapple, and pecans. Stir in oil.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake cake for 35-38 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool on a wire rack.
- To prepare the glaze, whisk together the cream cheese, butter powdered sugar and milk. Slowly spread glaze over the cake. Sprinkle with chopped pecans if desired.
- With exception of the pineapple, this cake was prepared using all Kroger brand products
Nutrition InformationYield 10 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 482 Total Fat 28g Saturated Fat 5g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 21g Cholesterol 53mg Sodium 372mg Carbohydrates 54g Fiber 4g Sugar 29g Protein 8g