Aromatic Chai Tea Latte Gelato Popsicles are a real cool, creamy treat!
May is only half over and our family has gone through several boxes of popsicles. It hasn’t even been that hot! If the present popsicle demand is any indication of the pace of summer, then boy is it going to be long! It’s possible the supply will never keep up with the demand.
I think the problem is the popsicles I am buying. Fruity popsicles, bomb pops and freezer pops do not have staying power. What we need are good old fashion pudding popsicles. Now THOSE you savor. You lick them slowly and gingerly. You do not suck them down like ordinary popsicles.
Popsicles made with gelato are the best. Gelato is a rich, thick, custard-type ice cream that is made with heavy cream, sugar, and egg yolks. Custard may seem like it takes time to prepare, but it is actually quite quick. It’s the setting up that takes time.
The basic ingredients in this gelato are cooked over low heat until the mixture begins to thicken. After draining your liquid to extract any solids the custard is placed in popsicles molds. Once you allow the popsicles to freeze, you are ready to eat! Doesn’t that sound incredibly easy? Honestly, that is it!
I added International Delight’s Vanilla Chai Tea Latte to my gelato. The latte added silkiness to my custard along with a full-bodied chai taste that transformed my plain gelato into something quite exotic. I added fresh orange zest to my custard too. The citrus pops in your mouth and depens the flavor of the chai flavored gelato. The taste of these popsicles is positively luxurious.
After eating one gelato pop I realized very quickly that I did not want to share any of them with the kids. I wanted these popsicles to be my little treat. Any time I need to steal away for quick break from the daily grind, these sweet rewards will be waiting for me. I’ll stock up on freezer pops for the kids and then I’ll make a few extra batches of gelato pops for me. The summer can be as long as it wants.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup International Delight Chai Tea Latte
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 orange, zested
- In a medium sauce pan, heat heavy cream, Chai Tea Latte over medium heat. Heat mixture until bubbles begin form around the edges.
- Whisk together egg yolks and sugar until thick and pale yellow. Slowly pour hot milk mixture into the eggs, whisking constantly. Carefully pour mixture back into the saucepan, whisking continuously.
- Reduce heat and continue to cook until mixture is thick and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and strain mixture. Stir in orange zest.
- Pour custard into 8 popsicle molds. Place popsicles in the freezer. After an hour, place a wooden popsicle sticks in the center of each mold. Continue freeze popsciles until set.
- To remove popsicles, run hot water on the outside of each mold.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 325Total Fat 25gSaturated Fat 15gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 184mgSodium 94mgCarbohydrates 24gFiber 0gSugar 23gProtein 4g