These vivid, rich tasting red velvet brownies are covered in a smooth mocha frosting.
These brownies are pure decadence!
Red Velvet Brownies
Forget about giving boxed chocolates this year, these red velvet brownies are WAY better! The brownies are soft and rich tasting all on their own, but then I topped them off with a velvety smooth chocolate mocha frosting. Seriously, these brownies are a chocolate lovers dream!
WHERE IS THE RED VELVET BROWNIE RECIPE?
If you’d rather skip cooking tips, suggestions, handy substitutions, related recipe ideas – and get straight to the Red Velvet Brownie Recipe– simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
How to Make Red Velvet Brownies
This recipe uses standard brownie ingredients, however instead of cocoa powder, this recipe uses chopped chocolate. You will need to melt bittersweet chocolate and butter in a large bowl in the microwave. When the chocolate and butter is whisked and smooth, stir in sugar, food coloring, and eggs. I did use a whole 1 oz bottle of food coloring to get that vibrant color, but you could use less if you would like. Flour is the last thing to get stirred into the batter before the whole thing is poured into a prepped 9 x 13-inch baking dish. The brownie will take a little over 30 minutes to bake. DO NOT overbake these brownies! The brownies are done when a toothpick inserted comes out clean and the edges begin to pull away from the pan.
Red Velvet Brownies with Mocha Cream Cheese Frosting
The brownies will taste fantastic all on their own, but if you are really in the mood for decadence, then make the mocha frosting!! Butter and cream cheese are beaten until completely smooth and creamy. Cocoa powder is mixed in until blended. Powdered sugar, vanilla, and coffee (for that mocha flavor). Totally ok to leave out the coffee, the chocolate flavor is delicious without the coffee. Spread that luscious frosting over the cooled brownies, cut into squares and serve!
- 1 4oz bittersweet baking bar, chopped
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 cup sugar
- 1 bottle red food coloring (1 oz)
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter softened
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons cooled coffee
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with non stick spray and set aside.
- Melt chocolate and butter in a microwave safe bowl and heat until chocolate and butter has melted, whisk until smooth. Whisk in the sugar, eggs, and food coloring. Add in the vanilla.
- Stir in the flour and salt until blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake brownies for 33-35 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from the edge of the pan and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the brownies to cool completely.
- In a bowl, cream together the butter and the cream cheese until smooth. Beat in the cocoa powder. Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until blended. Beat in the vanilla and the coffee until the frosting is a spreadable consistency. Spread frosting over the cooled brownies.
Nutrition InformationYield 16 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 639 Total Fat 18g Saturated Fat 11g Trans Fat 1g Unsaturated Fat 6g Cholesterol 92mg Sodium 172mg Carbohydrates 118g Fiber 1g Sugar 106g Protein 4g