This tender cake donuts recipe features vanilla donuts studded with chocolate chips and chopped cherries. A silky, sweet cherry glaze makes these cake donuts taste over the top amazing!
What Are Cherry Chip Cake Donuts?
This cake donuts recipe is a little spin on a Cherry Chip Cake boxed cake mix. This is one of my favorite cake flavors, it is sweet, fruity, fun and tinted with a hint of pink. Cherry Chip Cake is cheerful, playful and absolutely lovely. Now, these donuts are not MADE with the cake mix, but merely inspired by that cake flavor!
WHERE IS THE CHERRY CAKE DONUT RECIPE?
If you’d rather skip cooking tips, suggestions, handy substitutions, related recipe ideas – and get straight to the Cherry Chip Cake Donut Recipe– simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
Are Cherry Chip Cake Donuts Baked?
Yes! These cake donuts are made by combing softened butter, vegetable oil, and sugar until combined. Eggs are added as well as vanilla. I combine my dry ingredients next and at that to the better next. The last thing to go into the batter is mini chocolate chips and chopped maraschino cherries. The donut batter is spooned into two donut pans and baked for just 10 minutes. This recipe did give me 18 donuts, so I did have to bake the batter in two batches.
Glaze For Cherry Chip Cake Donuts
The glaze for these donuts is silky, sweet, and amazing! All you need is powdered sugar, corn syrup (to make it drip and set just right), a little milk and maraschino cherry juice (hmmm, you have to the frosting for these cherry sugar cookies!). The glaze whisks very easily in one bowl. When the donuts have cooled completely, carefully dip the tops of the donuts into the glaze. Allow the glazed donuts to sit on wax paper until completely set. The donuts should be stored in a single layer in an airtight container.
Glazed donuts will last 1-2 days if set on the counter.
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) butter
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 2/3 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- For the glaze
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 2-3 tablespoons of milk
- 2 tabespoons of maraschino cherry juice (or to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray donut pans with non stick spray and set aside,
- In a bowl, beat the butter, oil, and sugar together until creamy. Add the eggs until combined.
- Beat in the baking soda, salt, and vanilla.
- Add the flour alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour. Mix just until combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and the cherries (batter will be thick)
- Spoon batter into a large ziptop bag. Snip one corner and pipe the batter into the donut pan.
- Bake for 10 minute or until donuts spring back when touched.
- Allow donuts to rest for 5-7 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack. Cool donuts completely before coating with the glaze.
- To prepare the glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, corn syrup, butter and milk. Stir in cherry juice. Dip the tops of each donuts into the prepared glaze. Allow the donuts to sit on wax paper until the glaze is completely set. Store donuts in an even layer in an airtight container. Donuts will keep for 1-2 days.
Amount Per Serving Calories 269Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 30mgSodium 200mgCarbohydrates 45gFiber 1gSugar 29gProtein 3g