This corn chowder soup is filled with sausage, corn, and potatoes! It is the kind of satisfying comfort everyone craves!
What Is Corn Chowder Soup?
A corn chowder soup is similar to other chowder recipes in that it has a milky soup base. It also has corn, potatoes, sausage, herbs, and cheese. Chowders are often thick, creamy, and quite rich. It is such a filling and satisfying soup!
I love chowders, but they can be a little heavy at times. Instead of using heavy creams, I like to keep my soups and chowders on the skinny by using evaporated milk and only stirring in a little less cheese than some other chowder soup recipes. The chowder will still taste creamy and luscious!
WHERE IS THE CORN CHOWDER SOUP RECIPE?
If you’d rather skip cooking tips, suggestions, handy substitutions, related recipe ideas – and get straight to the Corn Chowder Soup Recipe– simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
How To Make Corn Chowder Soup?
This recipe starts with Italian sausage that is cooked and crumbled. My vegetable base is a blend of onions and bell peppers. If you have fresh vegetables, that is awesome, but using frozen is perfectly acceptable and a total time saver. The soup is thickened with a little flour and chicken broth. Instead of cubed potatoes that you find in traditional chowders, I used bagged hash browned potatoes, again this is a huge time saver. Frozen corn, evaporated milk, and a little cheese finish off the recipe!
Can Corn Chowder Soup Be Frozen?
No, the milk and the potatoes will no reheat well, the milk could separate and the potatoes will get soggy, but I am going to bet that there won’t be any soup left over to freeze anyway!
- 1 lb pound bulk pork sausage
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded, hash browned potatoes (frozen)
- 12 oz frozen corn
- 12 oz evaporated milk
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar
- In a large stockpot brown sausage, breaking up large pieces as it cooks. Stir in garlic and onions. Cook until sausage is no longer pink. Drain. Return pot to heat and sprinkle sausage with flour. Add salt, pepper, Thyme, and Rosemary. Stir over heat for one minute. Add chicken broth, potatoes and corn. Bring soup to a boil. Cover and heat on low for 15 minutes. Stir in evaporated milk and shredded cheese. Stir until cheese has melted. Serve immediately.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 400 Total Fat 25g Saturated Fat 10g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 13g Cholesterol 80mg Sodium 1151mg Carbohydrates 26g Fiber 2g Sugar 9g Protein 21g