These spicy caramel frosted chocolate brownies are a wonderful combination of warmth and richness in every bite.
A rich cake-like chocolate brownie covered in a sweet and subtly spicy caramel frosting!
These spicy chocolate brownies are a delicious treat to serve up whenever you feel like indulging yourself on something incredible. Caramel and chocolate brownies are always in season but with a little kick of cinnamon and chipotle pepper you really get a unique combination warmth that’s great for chilly nights. Easy chocolate brownies are made from scratch and far more delicious than boxed mix with only a few added steps.
What are spicy brownies?
These chocolate brownies are decadent with rich, luscious caramel frosting. They have just a hint of cinnamon and espresso powder (to really boost that chocolate flavor). The sweet frosting has a mere hint of spice put there from the scant amount of chipotle chili powder that I mixed right in. While you certainly can leave out the spice, I highly recommend you try it! It’s not as pronounced as you might think. It just adds a little kick that you feel in the back of your throat after each bite, mild, yet persistent.
For the brownies
- Granulated sugar
- Cocoa powder
- Baking powder
- Whole eggs
- Espresso powder
- All-purpose flour
For the frosting
- Brown sugar
- Evaporated milk
- Chipotle chili powder
- Powdered sugar
For the exact amounts, please see the recipe card below.
How to Make Spicy Caramel Frosted Chocolate Brownies
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and grease the inside of a 9×13 baking dish. Set it aside.
- In a large bowl, melt your butter in the microwave.
- Stir in the sugar until the mixture is nice and shiny.
- Stir in your cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder. Combine completely.
- Stir in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add in the cinnamon and espresso powder until combined.
- Slowly stir in the flour, mixing until smooth and completely incorporated.
- Pour the brownie batter into your prepared baking dish.
- Bake in the oven for 28 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean with set edges.
- Allow the brownies to cool completely before frosting.
Prepare the frosting
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter.
- Stir in the brown sugar and milk until combined.
- Remove the pot from the heat.
- When cool, stir in the vanilla and chili powder.
- Whisk in the powdered sugar until fluffy and smooth.
- Spread the frosting over your cooled brownies.
Want to make these into Mexican chocolate brownies? They’re already super close but you can make a few simple adjustments to get a nice spicy dulce de leche frosting instead of caramel flavored if you’d prefer it to be that way. Simply omit the 1/2 cup of butter, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, and 1/4 cup of evaporated milk. Instead, use 1/4 cup of dulce de leche (from a 13.4-ounce size can) 2 tablespoons of butter, and 2 tablespoons of milk. Instead of heating the frosting you just need to beat it until creamy in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer.
If you want the frosting to be less spicy you can adjust the amount of Chipotle pepper added. Simply reduce the amount used or omit it entirely. If you can’t find Chipotle pepper then you could use cayenne pepper instead.
How long are frosted brownies good for?
These brownies can be kept stored in a well-covered or airtight container for up to 3 or 4 days at room temperature. for slightly longer storage, you could keep them stored up to a week in the fridge.
Can I freeze frosted brownies?
Yes, after the brownies have been frosted, slice them into serving-sized squares and lay them out on a baking sheet. Freeze until solid (about an hour or two). Then wrap each piece in plastic wrap and then in aluminum foil, before storing them in an airtight container. You can keep them stored like this for up to 3 months. So whenever the mood strikes and you want a brownie, simply take one out of the freezer and allow them to come to room temperature for a few minutes before eating. Enjoy!
Check out these other incredible brownie recipes
- Baileys Salted Caramel Fudgy Brownies
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies
- Carrot Cake Cheesecake Blondie Brownies
- Caramel Apple Brownies
- Chocolate Baileys Brownies
- Cinnamon Chocolate Brownies
- 1 cup butter
- 2 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 5 whole eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Chipotle chili powder
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9x13 inch pan and set aside.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, melt butter.
- Stir in sugar until shiny.
- Stir in cocoa powder, salt and baking powder. Combine completely.
- Stir in eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add cinnamon and espresso powder.
- Slowly mix in flour, stirring until smooth and completely combined. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean and edges have set.
- Let cool completely.
Prepare the Frosting
- For the frosting, melt butter in a saucepan over medium low heat.
- Stir in brown sugar and milk, stirring to combine. Remove from heat.
- When cool, stir in vanilla and chili powder.
- Whisk in powdered sugar until fluffy and smooth.
- Spread over cooled brownies.
Serving Size1 brownie
Amount Per Serving Calories 220Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 70mgSodium 230mgCarbohydrates 22gFiber 1gSugar 13gProtein 3g